MS Works Database

paulj 20:38 20 Jun 03

help please i catalogue my cd collection using ms works database (dont ask ). i would like to convert it to ms access but cant seem to find the right format to save or transfer the database any ideas thanks in advance
paulj

VoG® 21:52 20 Jun 03

OK first thing is that you do not export from works, you have to import into Access. You have not said what version of any software you are using so I will assume that it is the latest click here

My second point is, do you really need to use Access for this? If you are familiar with Access then fine but if not then I believe you will face a steep learning curve. Unless you want to do something really fancy you can probably get away with a spreadsheet-based database using, for example, Microsoft Excel.

paulj 16:47 21 Jun 03

thanks for your help VoG® i want to convert to access because i want to transfer my database to a pc at work that has access but not works. once again thanks

keith-236785 17:16 21 Jun 03

In MSworks

save the file as a DBASE1V file

then on access click File/Get External Data/Import, highlight the file and click import

the file will now be available in access

i just tried it with a sample file and it does work.

Microsoft Works 4.0 to Access 2000

keith-236785 10:18 22 Jun 03

just to add to the above, you might have to create a blank Access file to do this. I did but i dont know if you need to.

also in the bit "then on access click File/Get External Data/Import, highlight the file and click import" i forgot to say you will have to browse to the file you have converted to DBASE 1V (dont forget to change the file types when looking for your file) and select it.

keith-236785 10:19 22 Jun 03

Also dont forget to Back - Up the data before you start.

let us know the outcome.

paulj 19:28 22 Jun 03

thanks for your help sorted
paulj

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…