m/s works 8

jarvis10@btinternet.com 12:31 21 Mar 07

after doing a clean install of xp, ie no bloatware, i have realised i have removed my copy of microsoft works 8 which came with my hp pc, along with nis 07, aol, and many, many more programs i simply have no use for, except works!
after 72 minutes on the phone to microsoft, they told me all i could do was to buy office 2007, my response wasnt great as i have £220 worth of vista sitting on a bookcase because of compatibilty issues!
i had no disks with my pc just a recovery partition, which i have removed, i have my recovery cd's and somewhere on it is ms works 8, is there anyway to reinstall it without all the other stuff.
i do have 2 stickers on side of case 1 for xp and 1 for works which has a tracking number, but microsoft say i cant download it, even though i have a piad up license for 4 months!
any ideas please?
and i dont want to do another o/s instal!
thanks in advance
adam

MAJ 12:49 21 Mar 07

In other words...... you need a cheap version of Works from somewhere?

VoG II 12:55 21 Mar 07

How about Open Office? click here

2neat 13:00 21 Mar 07

I would go with VoG and install open Office.
It will open and save in MS format so won't be a problem for others you send to.

skidzy 13:10 21 Mar 07

A start for you click here

I doubt you will be able to install MS Works from the recovery discs.

You could try putting the disc in and explore its contents.

Taff™ 13:19 21 Mar 07

click here This security update may pick up the previous remnants of Works 8 and reinstall it.

I have to agree with others though - OpenOffice is 10 times better!

jarvis10@btinternet.com 13:53 21 Mar 07

thanks guys, i will try open office
adam

jarvis10@btinternet.com 13:59 21 Mar 07

no, i will not be buying a microsoft product, till i have to, with norton, kaspersky, pc tools etc, you can just download the program and use you activation key, microsoft just want more money, and trying to explain to 4 different people who had real problems understanding english, for over 70 mins is not the best start to my day!
thanks again adam

Totally-braindead 14:04 21 Mar 07

Try phoning the company advertised in this months PCA magazine Page 1 of the classified, they sell second hand editions of works from £10 upwards depending on what version you need.
Website click here phone number 01344 891803.
Also consider this click here though you would have to contact Novatech to ask about the OEM policies regarding this. You might not be entitled to buy it unless its for a new PC.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 14:24 21 Mar 07

hi tb, thanks for that, im going to try open office, or i could talk to the bloke from work who did my clean install, as i said i had no disks just a product key, if he can do it woth windows he may just be able to do it with works.
he wrote and runs our system at work, which a lot of people knock but it does a good job.
thanks again
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced