MS Word XP - Normal.dot

fitshase 23:16 28 Apr 03

Can anyone help me as I am about to do something violent towards the computer.

My problem is this:

When I created a new document, the print settings would revert back to Legal paper size in the printer settings box (despite the printer being set to A4 in Start\Printers & Faxes).

I opened Normal.dot, made the necessary changes (File\Print\Properties\Advanced), instead of pressing "Print" I pressed "Close", closed the template and then created a new document (File\New\Blank Document). All worked fine......until I closed Word and the print settings reverted back to Legal.

I deleted Normal.dot thinking that it might be corrupted and restarted Word. The same thing happened.

I then decided to run the Detect and Repair option in Word. This all went OK and my shortcuts were renewed. However, I still have the same problem.

Anyone know what to do as this is annoying having to change the settings everytime I create a new document.

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 23:30 28 Apr 03

Sorry, the paper size should read "Letter" and not "Legal".

Also, all of the other changes I make to the Normal.dot are saved. I have even saved a template with the changes as New.dot, deleted Normal.dot and renamed New.dot to Normal.dot and the same thing happens.

Even when I create a new template and leave it named as New.dot and then create a blank document based on New.dot it still reverts back to "Letter".

Hope there is help out there.

Regards

Fitshase

PSF 23:41 28 Apr 03

In the control panel go to the printer section and check the device settings in the properties of your printer. You may find they are set to Letter and not A4. Change the settings to A4 and apply, then check your Word document it should be ok.

fitshase 23:45 28 Apr 03

Cheers for your suggestion but I've already tried that. Everything on the printer setting in control panel is set to A4.

Regards

Fitshase

BRYNIT 00:49 29 Apr 03

Could be your word doc is set at legal instead of A4

Have you tried?

File / page setup / Paper select A4 and then select default button (bottom left) it will ask if you want to change the default setting of paper click yes. This will set your page to A4.

You can also adjust page margins from here as well.

fitshase 02:14 29 Apr 03

I have tried that. The page size is set to A4 in the page setup as default. That is why I am puzzled as to why Word will not remember the setting.

Cheers for the suggestions though.

Regards

Fitshase

hugh-265156 02:25 29 Apr 03

dont have word installed at the moment so cant check but i would be inclined to set up the printer as BRYNIT suggests.select A4 and adjust the print margins to 0.5mm left and right if its printing all to one side this will help i hope.

fitshase 02:32 29 Apr 03

Cheers for that but the printer is set up with everything as A4 as default.

The page setup in Word is even set up as A4 as default.

It is only when I click on Print and go to the advanced settings of the printer (HP Deskjet 959c) to check the paper size does it show "Letter".

No matter how many times I change it, it will not remember the setting - despite the printer being set as A4 as default.

Regards

Fitshase

hugh-265156 02:34 29 Apr 03

in printer settings do you have print exactly as laid out on screen?

fitshase 02:38 29 Apr 03

Where do I find that?

regards

Fitshase

fitshase 02:42 29 Apr 03

Problem solved.

It seems that when I right clicking on the printer in control panel\printers, I was selecting "properties" to change the settings (as per previous changes).

There is another option further up the menu which says "Printing Preferences...". It was set in there as "Letter".

You would think that all of the options should be in one place wouldn't you?!?!?

Anyway, I can now go to bed and sleep well with the problem solved!

Cheers for all the help.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…