MS Word and Wireless Networking

padzmac 13:16 13 May 06

I'm having problems with Word 2003. When I have my wireless network connection made, Word will not open. It took me ages to work out that it works fine when the wireless is disabled. Other parts of Office (Excel, Outlook, etc) are fine, it's only Word that I am having problems with. I'm running MS Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on a Dell XPS laptop with Windows managing my wireless device (I couldn't get Intel Proset to work properly).

Can anybody help me please?

I might not be able to get back on the forum until next weekend due to work, but I appreciate all your top tips.

padzmac

Taff™ 08:07 14 May 06

That`s extremely odd. The only thing I can think of is that Word is looking for the normal template primarily on a networked connection.

How are you trying to open Word? If it`s from a desktop icon delete it and set up another shortcut icon. (Right click the Word icon in Start>all programs - create shortcut and drag that to the desktop. Right click it to rename it.

If you open Word and go to Tools>Options>File locations Tab is there anything under Workgroup Templates? Also check where the link goes to for templates - it should be to c:\Documents & Settings\[your Use Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

If all else fails follow the same path location and rename the file normal.dot to normal.old. Restart Word and it will create a new template for you. Note that you will lose any personalised formatting and have to recreate them.

padzmac 18:36 31 May 06

Taff, many apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Thanks for your advice. I did try what you suggested but there was nothing under Workgroup Templates. I had already tried opening Word by differing methods.

Anyway, the problem has gone away. I loaded Norton System Works (as part of a package deal with Internet Security) and I don't know if the 'One Button Scan' had anything to do with it, but it's now OK.

Thanks for your time nevertheless.

padz

Taff™ 10:54 01 Jun 06

No problem - well it`s gone away! Don`t forget to tick the reolved box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…