MS Word - Top & Bottom Margins gone.

dave h 18:31 30 Sep 03

I'm starting to get paranoid...my computer has taken some very funny turns over the last couple of weeks.

This time, in MS Word, my top and bottom margins have shrunk to nothing, (the left & right margins are unaffected)

I've tried File>Page Setup and the margins appear fine, 0.7" Top, 0.5" Bottom. Tried altering them, no change.

I've deleted the 'Normal' template and replaced it with a page with the correct Margins. Closed 'Word', opened 'Word' and the problem has returned!!

Any thoughts anyone....

MAJ 18:35 30 Sep 03

Have you tried "Detect and Repair" from the Help menu in Word, dave h?

jz 18:47 30 Sep 03

See if it's either of the following...

1) In the View menu, click Page Layout (or Print Layout as it's called in Word 2002).

2) If you have Word 2002, move your mouse so that it is near the boundary between two pages, where the missing header and footer is. A double arrow appears, and a tool tip also appears after about a second saying "Show White Space". Click the mouse, and the top and bottom margins should re-appear. Word 97 doesn't have this feature. I'm not sure about Word 2000.

dave h 21:16 30 Sep 03

Thanks MAJ & JZ

JZ, your second suggestion cracked it.

Whaty a strange feature. I wonder what use that feature is? (other than to confuse people like me!!)

jz 22:40 30 Sep 03

Dave: I guess the feature allows you to see more of the document when you've got two pages on the screen since the unused bits at the top and bottom of the page are no longer visible. I can see that it could be useful, but I don't use it myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…