M/S word tables

canalaholic 10:43 26 Feb 09

How do I view the cell numbers in M/S word tables.....I need to enter a formula to refer to a specific previous cell so can`t use the SUM command. If I could show all cell numbers it would be a help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Marko797 11:11 26 Feb 09

I think ur confusing Excel with Word. To the best of my knowledge there are no formulae or SUM commands in Word tables.

VoG II 11:20 26 Feb 09

I don't know of a way of viewing the cell numbers.

You can use a formula like =SUM(ABOVE) or =SUM(LEFT) if that's any use.

Marko797 - try Table > Formula.

Marko797 11:22 26 Feb 09

well I never...thnx VoG for the insight :) learn something new every day.

canalaholic 14:39 26 Feb 09

Thanks VoG™ for confirming what I already suspected. Using the =SUM(ABOVE) command does exactly what it says on the tin, ie, SUMs all of the cells above including the last cell on the previous page which in my case is a running page total (achieved by the =SUM(ABOVE)function). Guess there is no way round this other than manually entering the previous page running total into the first cell on subsequent pages. I was just trying to be clever and save a few more precious seconds. Since I am not the table originator (it`s a quarterly return from a society that I am involved with)I had better just complete it the way that it was designed.

Thanks anyway and thanks to Marko797 for trying.

Cheers

Canaholic

brambles 16:14 28 Feb 09

Why not import object Excel and enter your data in your Word Document but in an Excel Sheet it's quite effective and solves your sum problems.

Brambles

Peter 19:15 28 Feb 09

From what I remember you can refer to individual cells, or cell, ranges in formulae in MS Word, in a similar manner to Excel. The columns will be A, B, C, etc. left to right and the rows will number top to bottom.

A formula like SUM(A3 + B5) should work, but you might need to experiment a bit. Formulae like SUM(ABOVE), SUM(RIGHT), etc. work okay until there is a row, or column, missing data in the table. Entering the cell references can get round this problem.

For more complex tables, inserting an Excel object into the Word document, as brambles suggests, might be best.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos