MS Word Problem - and thanks to all

Alien463 18:54 03 Mar 03

Hi.

I am running a windows ME computer with 256mb ram and a 200gb harddrive.

I am having trouble with microsoft word, as everytime I try to open the application the program hangs at the splash screen and must be closed down using ctrl + alt + del.

The program works fine without templates loaded, that is, using the following command from the run dialog box "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" /a.

I assumed that there is a problem with normal.dot & templates, but a search on my computer has failed to find the file (normal.dot). I know that I have not missed it in a file search, and therefore deduct that it is missing from my computer (Accidental deletion, etc).

How should I replace the file, and most importantly, how do I stop word from hanging?

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Just wanted to thank you for all the help you have given me over the last year - I really appreciate it guys.

recap 19:18 03 Mar 03

The Normal.dot file should be in "C:\Windows\Application\Data\Microsoft\Templates"

When it is found then right-click on the file and select "Delete" and click Yes.

When you next start Word it will create a new "Normal.dot" file.

misery 19:21 03 Mar 03

to make all your hidden files visible.Unfortunately at the present time the brain wont function in the correct direction. will return shortly. beebee

Alien463 20:52 03 Mar 03

Thanks for your message.

I already checked the specified directory C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates", but no file named normal.dot was found. It is not hidden, as I enabled show hidden files in Folder Options.

I deleted normal.dot last time, as suggested, but word did not recreate the file (probably why it's missing), and still hangs at splash screen. This is driving me bonkers.

Have tried to uninstall / repair but can only find a link in add / remove for microsoft word service pack 1, and even this asks to insert the cd with the required .msi installation package. Of course I do not have this, as word was pre-installed under factory settings when I bought the computer.

Thanks again for any help.

BlueMeanie 21:23 03 Mar 03

Hi

Very unusual, as word always makes a new Normal.dot .........

I believe that you can use another persons copy of Normal.dot - have seen it done by our technicians. Can you get a copy from a friend, if not e-mail me (use the envelope icon), and i will e-mail you mine - mine is Word 2000, (and 28Kb in size).

Alien463 21:09 04 Mar 03

Right, i think i am going insane.

I managed to get a friend to copy me his normal.dot, but word 2000 still hangs on startup at the splash screen, and nothing seems to have changed.

I am running out of solutions and possible causes.

Please help!!!!

Thanks,

Alien463

Alien463 17:44 05 Mar 03

After many hours I finally solved the problem.

It happens that my registry entries were corrupt, so I deleted the Data key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data. I also found that in the Stationery key default template was set to my outlook template, which is probably why word 2000 was hanging at startup. I changed this back to the Normal.dot file, and the problem is now resolved.

Thanks to all for their help.

Alien463

P.S.

Delete any addins from the registry as well, as this may cause a slow startup, or word to crash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…