m/s Word - opening screen

sheila.weston 15:15 01 Jun 09

How can I get the opening screen to show my address etc. I have created a *.dotx template, but always have to go through the new>template> etc process to get it. The opening screen shows a letter which I wrote to someone months ago. I have looked in 'Word Options', but cannot see what to change. Thanks, as always, for any help.

mfletch 15:31 01 Jun 09

The document that opens with the old letter you can just select all then cut then save the blank document as a template,

Create and self addressed letter and safe it as a template but save it to your desktop then all you have to do is double click on it to open it with M/S Word

Woolwell 16:34 01 Jun 09

The normal template opens every time Word starts. See this click here for changing it in Office 2007.

sheila.weston 23:09 21 Jun 09

Apologies for not replying sooner - I had completely forgotten then I had already posted this query. Following the m/s page, Woolwell, it says to double-click normal.dotm in the templates list (Vista). All I have is images of the templates called blank document etc. There isn't anything called normal.dotm. Whichever template I select, the top of the screen says document1. Any ideas?

lotvic 23:44 21 Jun 09

It says document1 because it is.
When you choose a template and click on it to open, it opens a document based on the template you chose, that then is document* until you save it and give it a name such as, NoteToFred.docx

Woolwell 00:05 22 Jun 09

The blank document should be the normal template. Open the blank document - make your changes to remove your old letter - then save it as a template using normal as the file name. It should then prompt you if you want to replace an existing file. You do.
Hope this works.

sheila.weston 12:32 22 Jun 09

Should it be saved as *.dotx or *.dotm? (I have m/s 2007)

I think that the problem may be that I have my data files in Toshiba's partitioned e:\ drive. When I save 'as a template', the file goes into this drive also.

Doing a search for the normal.dotm file the following comes up:

normal.dotm.lnk
Users\Sheila\AppData\Ro...\normal.dotm.lnk - Open folder - 12:19p.m.

I have looked for this file in windows explorer and can't find any application sub-folder under the sheila folder. I can open the file from the word folder on e:/, but it still doesn't open automatically when the word program starts.

PO79 13:02 22 Jun 09
  sheila.weston 15:32 22 Jun 09

My normal.dotm file appears to be at E:\word\normal.dotm. There isn't a folder called templates. I can open the template by selecting it in the e:\ drive or going to new>and selecting it from the open window, but it doesn't appear automatically.

If I search for templates (using the orb at lhcorner of the screen) I get an error notice saying access is denied for c:\users\sheila\templates.

Could they be in a hidden folder somewhere?

I may have to leave this for the moment until I feel more inspired - I just can't see what is wrong.

Woolwell 17:29 22 Jun 09

It is saved as dotm.

Sea Urchin 21:05 22 Jun 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now