MS Word not functioning

GuZ><0r 13:52 27 Mar 06

MS word, on my friends computer is not opening as it should. When he clicks to open the computer, the small box showing the details of the program appears, but hangs after that. When Ctrl + Alt + Del is pressed, the computer claiojms that there are to many progrmas running and to close some, the thing is, Word is the oonly program running. Also, all other parts of office are working, such as powerpoint etc etc.
The computer is also able to run more resource hungry programs such as photoshop, so the hardware should not be the problem.
The OS is Window ME, and the office version is 2000.
To try and solve this, office has been re-installed, and also detect and repair from the help menu has been run,. but to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

GroupFC 14:11 27 Mar 06

Problems with word are sometimes due to a corrupt normal.dot file.

Do a search for these files and rename them (or I delete them - they will be in the recycle bin if it doesn't cure the problem), and then try word again.

TonyV 14:17 27 Mar 06

Have you tried starting Word directly from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Winword.exe? If it runs directly from there it must be something else and the target for the shortcut is not pointing to the correct area.

TonyV

GuZ><0r 14:17 27 Mar 06

Are these files to do with the operation of Word, as in they are needed to make it work. I also forgot to mention, Word does not even open up a new blank document.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 27 Mar 06

Word does not even open up a new blank document.

Normal.dot template corrupt as mentioned earlier, delete it and restart word. Word will replace it and should start ok if not the post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…