MS Word layout query

jp136 11:52 20 Apr 09

Hi,
Its not a big problem, just something that I find slightly annoying.

On a regular basis I get Word documents sent to me to read, these seem to open in either Normal or Print Layout. I prefer Normal Layout so I changed the document(s) from Print Layout to Normal Layout and save them, however when I reopen the document later it reverts back to Print Layout.

What I'm wondering is there anyway to get MS Word to open a document in Normal Layout (View-->Normal from the menu) by default, rather than any other layout?

(I'm using MS Word 2003)

Thanks in advance

Clapton is God 12:04 20 Apr 09

In Word, have a look at the left-hand side of the bottom tool bar.

You should see 4 icons for various 'View' options.

Click on your preferred one and, in future, Word docs should open in that style.

jp136 13:48 20 Apr 09

Tanks for pointing those buttons out, I must admit I never took much notice of those buttons before now lol.

This works in changing the way the page/layout is displayed, however it does not stop documents created by other people and sent to me (via email, cd, even floppy) from opening in Print Layout if that is the way they were saved by the other person.

I can open the document, change the layout (to Normal view) then save it, but the next time I open the document it still opens in Print Layout.

Is there anyway to get MS Word to open documents and default to Normal Layout, irrespective of how it was saved?

jp136 13:49 20 Apr 09

grrr Thanks... even :)

Sea Urchin 14:34 20 Apr 09

This will explain - but you will have to alter each document you receive to the new layout - much easier just to click the Normal icon as mentioned above

click here

jp136 07:54 21 Apr 09

Thanks guys, now I understand :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now