MS WORD - access error

novis 15:26 16 Dec 09

I am no longer able to access MS Word 2003 on my computer after a vigorous clean with FixIt Utilities.

I use Vista on a laptop.

Obviously I could reinstall but I am keen not to lose the normal and user dictionary files.

The programme is backup up I'm not able to restore the files as I cant access the external harddrive where they;re stored.

What am I don't wrong?

howard64 17:09 16 Dec 09

have you tried to use system restore to go back to before the clean? If that works you can then do not such a vigorous clean.

skeletal 18:28 16 Dec 09

Some "clean up" programs remove all manner of links. Do you mean that you can’t access Word if you click on the quick launch toolbar/desktop icon etc?

If so, navigate to the Word exe file and click directly on that.

If you have a normal installation look for:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

Skeletal

novis 19:08 16 Dec 09

Brilliant - this worked!

However it brings up a window which is diffilcut to dislodge:

You may encounter this error for the following reasons:

Macro security is set to:

Very High and the application encounters a signed macro, but the macro was automatically disabled. Use the following procedure to enable the macro:

Select the Tools menu option and then select Macro and Security. In the resulting Security dialog, set the security level to High by clicking the High radio button.

Close the file and any other instances of the application currently running on the computer (close all applications that also use the application you are currently running).

Open the file again and examine the certificate of trust details and set the Always trust macros from this publisher box if you trust the certificate issued by the publisher.
Click the Enable button to allow the macro to run.

High and the application encounters a signed macro, but you selected Disable when prompted by the macro warning dialog when opening the file. Use the following procedure to enable the macro:

Close the file and any other instances of the application currently running on the computer (close all applications that also use the application you are currently running).

Open the file again and examine the certificate of trust details and set the Always trust macros from this publisher box if you trust the certificate issued by the publisher.
Click the Enable button to allow the macro to run.

I've changed the Macro setting but it has made no differences.

Also - I'm getting error messages when I try to access the programme using the shortcuts:

"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

Nor am I able to access the Normal, AutoCorrect and User Dict files. tio do a reinstall.

Would the Normal template also save my AutoCorrect changes? I've tried using Google Desktop to locate them but this doesn't result in the files I want.

Suggestions Please.

Sea Urchin 19:15 16 Dec 09

Maybe starting Word in safe mode might let you make the above changes

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…