MS Word 2000 won't open

oddgeezer 18:36 27 Jul 03

When I click on Word (Windows ME), the "Word 2000" window appears, but the hourglass stays on for ever & Word doesn't open. Whilst clearing out some internet files and cookies, having used the search facility to find & delete files and folders relating to an unsolicited internet homepage that kept reappearing, I deleted a couple of .dll files as they had suspicious names. Whilst this failed to get rid of the rogue homepage (the problem has since been resolved via this forum through someone having had same problem), the problem with Word 2000 happened immediately afterwards. I've tried re-installing Word 2000 but this hasn't helped. I've tried System Restore, but this keeps freezing.

Grateful for any assistance.

Thanks

Oddgeezer

Cuddles 18:44 27 Jul 03

You say you have tried reinstalling word, was this done by removing old one first or did you go straight over the top, if you did try removing it completely then reinstalling.

VoG II 18:53 27 Jul 03

Do a search for NORMAL.DOT - you will have to enable searching for hidden files and folders to find it, rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT

Try starting Word.

oddgeezer 20:31 28 Jul 03

Cuddles - Thanks for your quick response. Good thinking, but I'd tried both but neither worked.

VoG - You're a star! Job done. It took 30 seconds.

A big hug to you both!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant