MS Word

Gary Wood 17:01 14 Feb 05

I have a long document in MS Word. The document uses endnotes. I have cut and paste some sections of the text to move it around. The end notes now appear (at the end of the document) in the order that they appear in the document, but they have not been renumbered.

So, for example, if endnote 45 has been cut and pasted before endnote 30, the actual endnote 45 appears before 45 in the endnotes, but it's still numbered 45, the numbering hasn't adjusted automatically so that they're all numbered sequentially.

Can anyone advise me how I can correct this, without having to reinsert all the endnotes?

Peter 17:17 14 Feb 05

Sound like they need to be updated. You could try selecting the whole document (Ctrl + A) and then pressing the F9 key.

Peter.

Peter 17:18 14 Feb 05

If that doesn't work select the End Notes and press F9.

Peter.

Gary Wood 17:23 14 Feb 05

I've tried both of your suggestions, but the footnote numbers don't update. Any more ideas?!

Stonechatz 18:54 14 Feb 05

... auto change of endnotes when the endnote citation is selected, then dragged to a new position in the text ... the endnote jumps place as well. THEN it seems you must renumber - via Insert/Open footnote - Options - Note Options - All Endnotes - then choose how you'd like the footnotes to be numbered like Roman or Lettered or Arabic ... etc. and from where to commence. Hope this works ...

Gary Wood 19:19 14 Feb 05

Your instructions sound promising, but I can't quite get them to work. When you say "Insert/Open footnote" - I can't see this in my menu. I have to go to "Insert" --> "Reference" --> "Footnote". (I'm using Word 2003). How do I then get it to renumber?

Gary Wood 16:43 15 Feb 05

Anyone got any more ideas?

Stonechatz 16:51 15 Feb 05

... states that if you drag the endnote number to its new position - it will update automatically. How that translates to Word 2003 is anybody's guess :) but give it a try ... ?

Stonechatz 16:51 15 Feb 05

... states that if you drag the endnote number to its new position - it will update automatically. How that translates to Word 2003 is anybody's guess :) but give it a try ... ?

Gary Wood 17:03 15 Feb 05

Are you talking about the actual endnote or the superscript number in the main text which refers to the endnote?

Is it not possible just to get Word to renumber all the endnotes so that they are all in numerical order both in the text and in the endnotes list at the end of the document?

Stonechatz 20:37 19 Feb 05

... superscript ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…