Ms Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

Graphicool1 10:36 15 Mar 11

WinXP SP3

I need someone who knows about 'C++' to tell me wether or not I should install this package? Advice please.

The details leading to this, can be found here...click here

The package and contents are as listed here below...

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

Instructions:
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed.

This package installs runtime components of C Runtime (CRT), Standard C++, ATL, MFC, OpenMP and MSDIA libraries. For libraries that support side-by-side deployment model (CRT, SCL, ATL, MFC, OpenMP) they are installed into the native assembly cache, also called WinSxS folder, on versions of Windows operating system that support side-by-side assemblies.

I already have the following installed on my PC...

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update KB973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable - x86 10.0.30319

I will set a 'System Restore Point' before I proceed.

lotvic 11:53 15 Mar 11

Been doing a bit of googling for
do I need Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x86)
apparently:
"Programs that use the 2005 version likely can not use the 2008 version so the 2008 version will probably not overwrite the 2005 version. " click here

However it also appears that all they are is .dlls and when you install a program that needs them the program should install them. Therefore in your case I would try either installing the 2005 version or updating or reinstalling Real Player.

Gleaned the info from click here click here click here

lotvic 11:59 15 Mar 11

This seems to be near exact same problem as yours click here
"SideBySide is technology that lets you have multiples copies of different versions of files with the same name on your system at the same time (in sepatate folders of course). When an application needs a certain DLL (library file), it will pull it on demand from the correct folder.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 has also been released since 4/2010. You can have more than one copy of MSVC installed at the same time and applications will pull the correct DLLs from the correct installation they need on demand.

You can also check your Real Player to see if there is an update available for that and what version of MSVC++ it needs and be sure things match up.

It sounds like something is a little out of sync, but the event details will tell you what is going on.

You can look in your Add/Remove Programs to see what versions on MSVC++ you have installed currently."

Graphicool1 12:06 15 Mar 11

Thanx for the research on my behalf. The C++ files I already have were direct requests from software I have installed. But what i can't get my head round is, if Real Player needs a C++ file then why doesn't/didn't it ask me to get it when I installed it?

I'll do as suggested in one of your links, I'll reinstall real Player. That would seem a whole lot safer approach initially.

I'll post my results later as I have to go out now. Cheers lotvic G1

Graphicool1 19:49 15 Mar 11

I updated Real Player, then I looked in the Event Viewer. There are 24 Errors coinciding with the update...

OK, well it seems that there are many people experiencing this same phenomenon. but as yet there is no definative answer. The overview, I'm sad to say, is somewhat negative. In as much as most 'Mr Fixit's' are saying...

"if the problem only shows itself as an 'Error' in Event Viewer, then there is nothing to worry about!"

Does that put my mind at rest, I don't think so.

lotvic 20:20 15 Mar 11

Can't help much, I've not got Real Player installed.
I use the Firefox Download Helper.

Oh well at least (we) have now got some idea of where the problem is even if don't know how to fix it ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…