MS updates that cause problems.

epoh 16:18 20 Nov 03

Somtime ago it was found that installing MS update KB 821557 caused CDR/DVD desktop short cuts to stop working.The only solution being to uninstall the update. MS have now included this update in their cumulative update KB 826939 so this one causes the same problem.
I found a reference to KB 824143 as a solution but this is not available on the MS site or anywhere else as far as I can see.Unless anyone knows different.
Do MS check their updates fully before issuing them?.
Epoh.

©®@$? 16:23 20 Nov 03

This is an unreleased fix so you have
to call MS to get it.

click here;en-us;824143

god knows why they don't let you download it?

Jester2K II 16:54 20 Nov 03
  Jester2K II 16:56 20 Nov 03

Oh and yes they do check them. However not all PC are the same so unforeseen circumstances can occur. Even 2 PCs on the same production line can have different programs installed once the owners gt hold of them. This can lead to all sorts of conflicts and problems.

I have this patch installed without the problem.

epoh 10:37 21 Nov 03

Thanks for the replies but the problem remains.
I have XP installed on 3 different makes of computers but KB 821557 causes the same problem on each.
I have tried to get help from MS but all I got was a hour long telephone call telling me how to boot in safe mode!
Does`nt ayyone have a copy of KB 824143 that they could email to me ?, please.
Epoh.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…