MS Update site looking for admin rights.

cocteau48 07:49 14 Nov 08

On my Vista Home Premium laptop (wireless networked) I attempted to install Zonealarm which apparently requires Vista SP1 to be installed. (I have since opted to give COMODO a try so the whole question is somewhat hypothetical .... but for future reference...)
1.Using the update function within Vista showed no desire to access SP1.
2.I did not particularly want to download SP1 in its entirety as a standalone download.
3.Accessing the MS Update site I was informed that I required administrator rights in order to proceed with any download and there was no indication as how to progress. As I am the only user and logged on as administrator what should I have done to access the site further?

rdave13 08:40 14 Nov 08

Right click Windows Update icon > properties > security tab > edit tab and click continue on the UAC popup. Click on Administrators (*name*/ Administrators) and make sure all boxes ticked for 'allow'. Same for SYSTEM. Click apply and ok.

cocteau48 09:04 14 Nov 08

Thanks rdave13.
I'm still struggling to get to grips with Vista (everything was so easy to find in XP) but which Windows Update icon are you referring to as I cannot find one which responds to right clicking?

rdave13 09:13 14 Nov 08

Click the Orb/start and it should be in the list. If not then all programs.

rdave13 09:23 14 Nov 08

Another meathod is, if you can't find it, is click on orb > in the start search box type windows update then right click the icon.

cocteau48 09:37 14 Nov 08

Thanks again rdave13
Got and done all that but still getting the following message on the MS site:

"To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates."

I am wondering if it is something to do with the network settings as I have never had any problems accessing the site on my hardwired XP desktop.

"

rdave13 09:49 14 Nov 08

Could be a problem with UAC. Try right clicking the icon again and click on 'run as administrator'. If that fails then temporarily turn off UAC and try again.
Orb > start search and type user. Click on user accounts then 'turn user account on or off. You'll have to reboot.

cocteau48 11:02 14 Nov 08

UAC on/off makes no difference.
I believe that SP1 will only auto install via Vista Update if it detects a program which requires it so I even tried to install Zonealarm (before moving on to COMODO)and rerun the update process. Having Zonealarm installed causes the machine to shut down and reboot whenever the modem is rebooted and a Windows pop-up which tells me that this is a known issue and can be resolved by installing SP1!!

I can only think it it something to do with the network policy issues but have not yet found how to tweak those.

As COMODO is running very nicely I am only pursuing this if I require to access the update site manually in the future and come up against the same lockout.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…