MS Update KB954156 & KB938464

johndrew 10:04 10 Sep 08

Automatic updates came up with 5 updates this morning; these included:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938464)
Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)

I selected `Install` and 4 including KB938464 installed but KB954156 failed.

I checked the MS information and tried again but this time I was told both the above could not be installed. I checked my Update History at the MS Update site and get a confirmation that KB938464 was successfully installed but KB954156 was not. I can find no other help on either subject.

Has anyone any idea what the problem may be? Is it a MS glitch or do I need to take action on the PC.

Many thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 10:08 10 Sep 08

I should have said, I have the Windows Media Encoder 9 pack installed.

johndrew 14:29 10 Sep 08

I have just been back to the MS Update site and the Security Update for Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156) which showed up before as outstanding has disappeared completely!!

It could be this update has a problem and has been withdrawn. I shall leave this open for a bit in case someone else finds a full answer and posts it or the `mists` clear a little.

BurrWalnut 15:45 10 Sep 08

It's listed on Microsoft's catalog click here

johndrew 17:17 10 Sep 08

It`s getting foggier!!

I agree it`s on the catalogue. I have the Windows Media Encoder 9 pack installed. Which means, to my mind it is applicable.

However not only has the update disappeared from the list when I go to MS Updates, but the yellow nag shield has also disappeared from the Toolbar. In that case it should appear as complete in my Update History; snag is it doesn`t.

I can only think MS have found a problem with the update and modified or withdrawn it for some reason.

Petesilver 19:58 10 Sep 08

RE Windows Media Encoder 9 Series for Windows XP (KB954156)
I have the same problem as the update failed and I have been back to the microsoft update site htr update is there but will still not update

johndrew 19:41 11 Sep 08

All still a mystery, but it seems I shall make no progress so I`ll close this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…