MS Service Pack3

dezi 23:51 25 Feb 08

Has anyone been able to download service pack 3 to the xp 'home edition'... and have it work ? If so I would be obliged for your comments or advice.

brundle 23:56 25 Feb 08

You mean Windows XP Service Pack 3? It's not actually been released yet, only Release Candidate versions. I've got one such version running on another machine and it's been fine to date. If you install an RC version, you will have to uninstall before installing the final version when it's released.

cocteau48 07:24 26 Feb 08

First download and unzip the registry script from here:
click here

You can then use the normal MS update site to search for priority updates. The script which has been installed into your registry will allow the update checker to select and download only those parts of SP3 which are applicable to your system.
I do not know if you will require to uninstall this RC version when the final version is released - but that certainly applies to any previous beta version which you may have installed.

dezi 23:54 26 Feb 08

Thanks guys.

manrow 09:14 27 Feb 08

More specifically, has anyone noticed any improvement in pc operation after installing SP3?

sunny staines 17:20 27 Feb 08

rc1 version of sp3 speeds up load of windows on boot up, the later rc2 version slows it down.

you may still get the earlier version on the major geeks site.

Stuartli 17:46 27 Feb 08

SP3 RC1 can be downloaded from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…