MS security updates download wont install

Miss Happy 22:39 16 Nov 06

I have tried & tried but cannot get the MS security (& others), updates to install; they download then I get a message that they failed to install.
I read MS forum re this problem which included looking at a file in the run command: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
This log included WARNING failed to find token for SID...
All to confusing for me!
Has anyone else had this problem 7 any ideas what may have gone wrong?(!)
Is there any 'mirror' site where I would have more luck, I have all genuine software on my system, XP sp2 IE v.6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr...
I disabled ZA & AVG anti virus whilst downloading.
Can anyone help,please?

terryf 22:56 16 Nov 06

I had a problem with IE7 and in the end I downloaded the IE7 file to a folder, disconnected from the web by pulling out the cable from my router (powering off a modem will also do it) disabling all anti spyware and virus programs and then IE& installed by double clicking on the download file which is called IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe. I guess you could Google for it or search on the Msoft site

terryf 22:58 16 Nov 06

Sorry IE& should be IE7, after successfully installing IE7, and restarting AV progs, reconnect to web and updates will work OK

Miss Happy 23:06 16 Nov 06

Thanks terry, I gulped when I saw the IE7 in the download list - I should have picked the updates before downloading them and knowing IE upgrades (!) I would have waited til probs sorted out. I did just go back to update site and in my log for the UD I tried to install, it says this:
KB920872 installation did not complete.
1.359: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf201
I will try and find the IE7 download on PC and do as you say, thanks.

birdface 23:13 16 Nov 06

You could try downloading them one at a time from, click here

terryf 23:25 16 Nov 06
  Miss Happy 23:35 16 Nov 06

I cannot find the IE7 download on my PC yet it says on MS updates that it has 'downloaded' and waiting to be 'Install' (ed). No trace of it anywhere! I can find all the KB... security updates (I think - only searched and found 1 so far...), they will not install though. Cannot do what terryf says because I cannot find any IE7 on my system.
I am not the only one with this problemlooking at the MS security/update forum. Trouble with that forum is they seem to think every reader had a PHd in computing - I have not!
I will have to get back to sorting this out (I hope), tomorrow with a clear head.
Thanks terryf & 'beautyman' mmmm (sorry !).

birdface 23:46 16 Nov 06

You can downloadIE7 Here click here Before you download it, Turn of your Anti-virus + Firewall,Dont worry they will automatically restart with computer,

Stuartli 00:07 17 Nov 06

I would be very worried...:-)

Miss Happy 00:18 17 Nov 06

Why do you say that Stuartli?The IE7 seems to have installed fine, yes, I disabled AV & AS ware first, but they are (I hope), all back in the tray and working alongside the IE7...
Thanks buteman, it worked for me (one-at-a-time downloads> install), thanks buteman, I now have IE7 properly downloaded AND intalled thanks to your advice. The other downloads installed during the set-up of the IE7 after rebooting - shame MS bundle ALL their updates together when there seems to be a HUGE install conflict.
Thanks buteman, I hope your advice works for CaiHir too. I will post my reply on my problem regarding downloading MS security updates but will not/wont install. CairHir'sprob. not the same as mine but why are all these things not checked by MS BEFORE faffing up customers systems?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5