Ms Security Essentials - vs - AVAST & Spyware Terminator

Graphicool1 13:50 PM 13 Aug 11
Answered

I've bought a new PC, it already has 'Microsoft Security Essentials' installed. But on prevous systems I've always run AVAST and Spyware Terminator. If I were to run them all together I would be asking for trouble. So my question is should I keep MSE or AVAST & ST?

Woolwell 14:02 PM 13 Aug 11

I would add Malwarebytes to MSE. I don't know about Spyware terminator. Avast is pretty good.

john bunyan 14:06 PM 13 Aug 11

1. Only install 1 Anti virus - I use Avira but many prefer Avast or MSE so I would keep MSE and see how it goes.
    1. Anti mal ware. I like the new free Superantispyware and also have Malawarebytes for scanning for malware etc. I also have Spywareblaster as a spyware defence.I find SAS finds adaware cookies not found by other programmes.

Graphicool1 14:11 PM 13 Aug 11

I actually forgot to mention I also always used 'MalwareBytes AntiMalware' and 'Spyware Blaster'. So far it's would seem that 100% of replies favour MSE.

onthelimit1 14:49 PM 13 Aug 11

I have similar - MSE, MBAM and Superantispyware. Had no more probs than those who pay loadsamoney for antivirus.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 PM 13 Aug 11

All good choices

Leave MSE on it backed up with SpywareBlaster as a blocker and Malwarebytes its a good combination.

Add common sense when browsing // clicking on links then you will be pretty safe.

Graphicool1 15:56 PM 13 Aug 11
Answer

Cheers guys, I've uninstalled AVAST and terminted the terminator.

birdface 21:22 PM 13 Aug 11

If it is the pay for version of Avast that you have I would use that and remove MSE.

rdave13 23:31 PM 13 Aug 11

My personal choice would be to bin MSE and use free Avast, One off payment for SAS, run free MBAM - spywareblaster and Spybot S&D for blockers.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone