MS Scandisk comes on tho shutdown was proper.

crily 16:37 01 Dec 03

I have a Compaq laptop with Win98 and recently it has started going through the Windows Scandisk of Drive C checking for fatal errors everytime I start the computer, even though I have shut down the system properly. Does anybody have any ideas why, or what I could do to fix it?

alcudia 16:41 01 Dec 03

This was happening on my ME machine recently. The cause was that the drive was on the way out. May not be the case with yours but it's probably worth checking on.

A_World_Maker 17:29 01 Dec 03

Do you keep cancelling the process?.... maybe try letting it complete once... to see if it happens again.

matthew-293741 18:18 01 Dec 03

It sounds like that at somepoint it has not gone thru the correct process and is now stuck in a loop....the one way to correct this is to start in safe mode and do a complete scan from there, that sure cure your problem.

crily 18:50 01 Dec 03

I am uncertain as to how to start it in a "safe" mode, any suggestions?

VoG II 18:52 01 Dec 03
  matthew-293741 21:27 01 Dec 03

Failing using VoG's weblinks, to start in safe mode just press and hold the delete button on power up.

VoG II 21:29 01 Dec 03

I think that doing that will get crily into the BIOS.

To get into safe mode reboot and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen appears. Then select Safe Mode from the menu that should appear.

mammak 21:53 01 Dec 03

VoG is right, in win 98, f8 get,s you into safemode, del get,s you into BIOS.

mammak 21:54 01 Dec 03

PS. VoG is alway,s right

crily 23:01 01 Dec 03

I have got to say, you all are great, I have shut my system down several times after following through with your suggestions and I am no longer having the problem. Thanks to each and every one of you for such a prompt and accurate response to my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…