MS Publisher mystery

Mike D 07:56 09 Apr 06

We run Publisher 2000. One of my students broiught in some work thay she had prepared at home using Publisher 2003(?), obviously this would not open on our machine. She then (at home) resaved the file as a Publisher 2000 file, but this still will not open on our machine (error message is to the effect that Publisher cannot open files from a different version). When we look at the file properties it shows as Publisher 2000 ver 6.0, which is identical to files saved as 2000 files on our machines.

Not quite sure what to do - if anything - it does seem strange for MS to give the option to save as an earlier file type if it still cannot be moved between versios.

Mike

Simsy 08:16 09 Apr 06

but when both I and my son had Publisher 2000 on our computers, a file created on his machine, when opened on mine, would bring up a message inidcating that there may be problems because the file was created on a PC that had a different printer installed...

I can't remember exactly what the message was, as it was some time ago, and the file did open.

Is it possible that the problem your having is caused by something similar... different printers or fonts, or images used not being available on the other machine?

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Mike D 15:43 09 Apr 06

I don't know either. What I can say is that no amount of coaxing and cajoling could persuade Publisher to open the file.

Mike

Simsy 15:47 09 Apr 06

perhaps there is somethng in the "temp" files that is causign your 2000 version to think that the 2003 version is still there.

So it might be worth deleting the temp files folder to see if that helps.

It can't do any harm... but I am clutching at straws!

Regards,

Simsy

Marsh Warden © ™ 15:51 09 Apr 06

click here there are some converters supplied by MS

Forum Editor 16:09 09 Apr 06

because it is a pretty straightforward job to save a Publisher 2003 file in Publisher 2000 format, which can then be opened in Publisher 2000.

All I can suggest is that you try again - get the file resaved, and see what happens.

Simsy's straw-clutching might well have some sense in it, so check to make sure that there are no temp files in the saved location.

Mike D 22:45 09 Apr 06

Right, thanks folks. I may not be able to try this for a little while - it's the Easter break for the kids and moi is off to Florida (it's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it) for a fortnight. I will mark this as resolved, but I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac