MS Publisher

montyburns 15:24 11 Aug 06

I've been dabbling with Publisher which I found was on my PC at work, in the hope of using it for our work website (which we are working on, but haven't got up and running yet)

Created a nice, but simple site with it, but can't ftp it from work. Saved it and brought it home, where I can ftp it, but at home I haven't got Publisher!

Is there anything I can do to get round this, other than buy Publisher for home?

DieSse 15:29 11 Aug 06

It seems odd that you are helping at work to generate a web site - but you can't ftp your work to a server. Strikes me that ought to be sorted out pronto!

If you save any work as HTML files - then it'll be in a form suitable for ftp'ing from anywhere.

montyburns 15:48 11 Aug 06

"It seems odd that you are helping at work to generate a web site - but you can't ftp your work to a server. Strikes me that ought to be sorted out pronto!"

LOL! NHS mate! I manage a small screening department where everything from website, to leaflet design, to vehicle and equipment maintenance is carried out as much "in house" as possible to save money! Also NHS PCs and web access are screwed down as tight as possible and even when we get the software bods in to fix stuff, they have to get forms signed in triplicate by their grannies and Patricia Hewitt before even they can ftp files back to head office etc...

Anyway, did I miss something in Publisher? I just "saved". Can I save as HTML? If so, I should be sorted!

DieSse 15:56 11 Aug 06

If you can't get it saved in html - you'll not get it onto a web site anyway!

I just looked in my Publisher2000 - it doesn't have a save to HTML.

You could save it as a .doc file - then bring it home in Word format. Word can be saved in HTML and published to the web.

From then on you can work in Word which would be much easier all round.

OR - If you want to spend a few dollars - Web-Easy Pro is very very easy to use for web-sites - no HTML coding involved - just drag amd drop. It produces good looking sites very readily - and it only costs $49 to download - which is next to nothing compared with Publisher.

DieSse 15:58 11 Aug 06

click here

forgot the link - sorry.

montyburns 16:06 11 Aug 06

Thanks for the advice! Looks like .docs it is!

Just curious now as to how Publisher actually works, if the pages aren't HTMLs.....

DieSse 16:09 11 Aug 06

*Just curious now as to how Publisher actually works, if the pages aren't HTMLs.....*

Differently ... ;-))

pj123 16:12 11 Aug 06

MS Pub is not the program for creating Web Sites.

Try this one, WebPlus 6, it is free.

click here

also give this thread a read.

click here

pj123 16:17 11 Aug 06

In MS Pub when you click on "Create Website from Current Publication" everything is converted to a .gif, even the text.

I started my very first website using MS Pub but soon found out it wasn't very good. I now use Dreamweaver.

I do also have WebPlus 6 but have never used it.

silverous 16:19 11 Aug 06

How about leaving home PC on with something like gotomypc running on it - then you can access home PC from work and transfer the files via that route?

Does your ISP have a feature where you can upload via a non-FTP method e.g. via a web browser?

montyburns 20:53 11 Aug 06

"How about leaving home PC on with something like gotomypc running on it - then you can access home PC from work and transfer the files via that route?"

I'll bet the work network would be set up to stop this sort of thing!

"Does your ISP have a feature where you can upload via a non-FTP method e.g. via a web browser?"

Not sure really - I'm a bit of a novice with webby stuff!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5