MS Outlook and XP dialup

  johnem 15:12 30 Dec 03

Hi gang, as previously mentioned, I have just upgraded to XP Pro. I can get IE6 to initiate the dial up request no problem. However if I use MS Outlook to initiate the dial up, the modem dials out and then returns the message "Code 5" incorrect account name or password, please re-insert your details". Have retyped account and password to no avail. If the internet is already up and running MS Outlook sends and receives OK. Am running ZA 4.5.538, but even with this disengaged there is no difference. Any ideas?

  johnnyrocker 15:28 30 Dec 03

outlook is not configured to start up a connection as outlook express used to.


  johnem 16:24 30 Dec 03

Thanks johnny. I don't know if this is relevant, but I have set XP up for four different users and when requested by the dial up window, have allowed thwe same connection to be used "By others on this computer." I have noticed that the same dial/sign on user notice occurs if one of the other computers on the network tries to initiate the internet. Not quite sure how to get around this.

  johnem 21:28 04 Jan 04

Hello gang, have looked into this problem a little further and have noticed that if I connect via IE6, then the "Dial Up Connection" pop up window is displayed giving me the choice of my 3 possible dial accounts. I select BT Connect and the puter dials up, the password and account are accepted and the connection is completed and works fine.
However if I use MS Outlook to initiate the dialup, then a different pop up window is diplayed stating "BT Connect Connection", this window is a different layout and does not display my password only an italic script instructing me to delete this if I wish to change my password. Also there are 'radio buttons' giving me the option to 'allow only me to connect' or 'to allows all other users.
No matter what I select having retyped my account name and password, once the dial up is initiated, it appears to dial the correct number and then returns the message "Code 5" incorrect account name or password, please re-insert your details".
Any further ideas would be appreciated.

  johnem 23:02 05 Jan 04

Refresh - Any ideas!!

  johnem 23:33 05 Jan 04

Not quite sure what I ahve done but, the dial up problems seems to have been resolved. Well for the time being anyway.
I tried tinkering with the various 'Security ' settings and kept on putting in my 'username' and 'password' and eventually something latched on and seemed to work OK.

  johnem 22:44 28 Jan 04

Just to further update, have deleted all of the original "Dial up numbers" rebooted, then installed the main number and reconfigured everything until it all works OK. Then installed the further "DUN's" and that seems to have cured the problem properly. Thanks for the earlier help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…