MS Outlook not activated

Tony Jones 11:46 AM 03 Jan 12

I originally installed a trial version of Office 2010 from a PCA DVD and subsequently uprgraded to (and paid for) the full version. All segements work fine except Outlook, which insists that my trial period has expired and I need to upgrade. However, re-entering the product code has not effect.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards Tony Jones

Woolwell 11:50 AM 03 Jan 12

Which version of Office 2010 did you pay for? Not all versions include Outlook.

QuizMan 11:52 AM 03 Jan 12

It depends which version you purchased. The Home & Student version does not come with Outlook

Tony Jones 17:07 PM 03 Jan 12

Thanks for the info. That's the problem. I was originally running the previous version of Office but then installed the Office Professional 2010 Beta from the DVD that came with March 2010 issue. But for reasons I can't remember, I subsequently downloaded and paid for the Home and Student version. Perhaps it was a bit cheaper?

Rather than buying Outlook on its own, would anyone care to recommend a non-MS contacts handler. That's the only bit of Outlook I'm interested in; I'm not worried about total integration with my email client as I use Thunderbird for that.

Many thanks Tony Jones

QuizMan 20:56 PM 03 Jan 12

Just a thought - if you have the previous office version, did that include Outlook? If so could you just do a custom install of Outlook only? There's not reason why it should not work. For example, I have Office 2007 H&S version and Outlook 2003 standalone running side by side without a problem.

Tony Jones 23:28 PM 03 Jan 12

That's a great thought Quizman. I'm sure it would work, but I've since found an nice free address book programme called Efficient Address book which seems to do everything I need. It even imported my old Outlook contacts without any problem!

Best wishes Tony Jones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016