MS Outlook and Multiple ISPs

mitchamm 15:26 17 Jan 03
  mitchamm 15:26 17 Jan 03

I use Microsoft Outlook 97 as my email program and I have four different email accounts all with different ISPs. The problem I am having is that although I can receive emails from all four accounts, I can only send from the first account I set up in Outlook. If I try and send from one of the others, the emails just sit in the Outbox. Can anyone help me resolve this? My email accounts are with Freeola, Freeserve, BT Click and V21.

jazzypop 15:30 17 Jan 03

Set one account as your default account (say, V21). Then set the smtp settings for the other 3 accounts to be the same as your deafult acoount (e.g., or whatever it actually is).

jazzypop 15:31 17 Jan 03

"deafult acoount " ? Oh dear! Try default account :)

mitchamm 09:20 21 Jan 03

Fine, but sometimes I need to send emails from specific addresses, so this solution wouldn't work. There must be another way of handling this situation.

Lozzy 09:30 21 Jan 03

No there isn't.. You can receive emails from any account and any email address but you can only send emails via your current ISP's POP3 server.

Stuartli 09:40 21 Jan 03

If you Reply to an e-mail from an ISP other than your own, you have to ensure that your e-mail addresses menu at the top of the Message panel is altered to your default ISP - that's why they are not being sent if you don't change it.

Switcher 09:42 21 Jan 03

If you use JAZZYPOPS solution you can send mail from any Email address and it will arrive as though it comes from that ISP although it will have been sent through your default ISP.

Lozzy 09:51 21 Jan 03

If your current isp is fast4 for example and you default your email to say freeserve the email will not be sent. It must be sent via your current logged in ISP's POP3 server.

hgrock 10:07 21 Jan 03

the only way i think is to open that isp eg. AOL read the mail there and reply, sometimes i find in OE where i have MSN & Hotmail & POP3, if i open MSN read the mail and reply it will be sent via MSN, but if i write a new mail it always goes via my default POP3 mail box

jazzypop 12:04 21 Jan 03

I (currently) have 2 pop3 email addresses, each with completely separate ISPs. If I hit 'create new' or 'reply', the mail will be addressed from my default ISP.

However, once I have created the email, and before I send it, I have the option to choose the address that it is sent from via the drop-down list (as Stuartli says).

Have you actually tried it yet? It is simple enough to revert if yours is one of the few ISPs nowadays that block email relaying.

Note that there are a total of 8 email addresses in use from this single XP PC (setup for four users). I can send and receive to/from any of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…