MS Onecare deleted all programs

dpantoin 04:35 06 Jan 09

I can’t believe this!

I installed the Microsoft Onecare 30-day trial. I ran a full system scan and it wiped clean ALL software I installed in a separate directory called “Program Files Plus”. Not one application survived this. They were most definitely not virus (or otherwise) infected programs.

I do that to keep track of what was on the computer after a clean Windows install and what I add myself later.

Am I dreaming or what?

What are they thinking?

DPA

birdface 08:47 06 Jan 09

Can't help you with your problem.Just to inform you that Microsoft are Stopping One care in June.So not worth buying it when the 30 days are up.Can you do a system restore to a date before you installed One care.

hiwatt 11:07 06 Jan 09

There'a a link here showing that it deletes mailboxes click here I'm not familiar with the program but did it maybe quarintine the files before deleting them in which case you might be able to get them back by restoring them?Would a system restore work?

dpantoin 12:57 06 Jan 09

I'm surprised MS is pulling Onecare.

I just wanted something to catch Trojans. I was using Norton Internet Security and it couldn't do the job. So I removed it and installed Onecare temporarily to deal with that Trojan problem. There seems to have been several.

Unfortunately I got much more than I bargained for.

I didn't do a System Restore. I reinstalled the programs overnight. I'm not done yet! Rather tedious...

By the way, where does Norton stand in the anti-virus world? I used to be very happy with it until I found all these Trojans.

Thanks,
Daniel

birdface 13:53 06 Jan 09

Some like Norton some hate it.You want Malwarebytes free or Superantispyware They get rid of most things.

birdface 14:05 06 Jan 09

For some reason I cannot open my click here on this one.See if it opens for you.click here

aine 18:11 06 Jan 09

buteman it opened for me

Technotiger 18:17 06 Jan 09

Opened for me OK.

See if you can open it from here ... click here

birdface 18:19 06 Jan 09

Ok.I was in the middle of removing some programs.Flash and Java so I will assume that was the problem.Many Thanks.

birdface 18:23 06 Jan 09

Yes it is working fine now.It must have been while removing some of the programs.Both yours and mine now work Ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5