MS Office wont Uninstall

Nick052 22:00 19 Sep 05

I recently installed some Microsoft Office 2000 on my girlfriend's PC from the Windows Update website, but when it asked for the CD during the installation process, it failed to recognise it (saying it wasn't valid).
The result of this was that double clicking on an Excel file did not work - you had to Open it from Excel, which was obviously annoying after a while.

So, I uninstalled Office totally from the Add/Remove programs menu.

When I came to insert the CD again (we have the full, licensed version) to install it again, it said I couldnt because a previous version existed on the system. How can it when I'd removed it?

Looking at the Add/Remove programs again, Office 2000 was still there. So I tried to remove it again, but got the same error as above - it said to insert the Office CD, then said to locate Data1.msi on the CD; which I browsed to, only for it to say Data1.mse was not a valid package for Office 2000 or something.
I know it is valid since this is the full licensed version and is the only one ever installed on the PC.

How do I get round this error message and totally remove Office so I can reinstall it from scratch again?

Thank you for any responses.

VoG II 22:04 19 Sep 05
  stalion 22:07 19 Sep 05
  Nick052 22:20 23 Sep 05

I installed the Windows Install Clean Up and it worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…