MS Office programs mysteriously opening at Windows

vinnielo 00:01 11 Oct 04

Having monitored my task manager's list of open processes, I was intrigued to find winword.exe, excel.exe and powerpnt.exe all start and close again during Windows' startup. This happens both when I'd told osa.exe to execute at startup, and not to execute at startup.

What's happening here? Is it some 3rd party program starting them up? Is this a deliberate Office thing? My startup is already taking ages with the amount of startup programs I have, and I could really do without this.

I've already tried looking at my list of startup programs using Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and msconfig, but have found nothing THAT unusual.

hugh-265156 00:16 11 Oct 04

click here click here click here

what i would do is untick everything listed in msconfig/startup apart from your av and firewall (what av and firewall do you have?) and you should find if you have office installed it doesnt load any more automatically.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:16 11 Oct 04

You need to remove the office toolbar from the startup menu / services. click here lists all programs required at startup.

vinnielo 10:49 11 Oct 04

huggyg71, it's not easy for me to remove startup programs. I've already got a list of removed programs in Mike Lin's Startup Control, and to have any more would be confusing to me in which ought to be added back when testing is done.

Fruit Bat, I don't believe the toolbar loads at startup, and I've tried preventing osa.exe from starting up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…