MS Office new install thinks it's an upgrade CD

splinternet 15:50 22 Feb 03

Tried installing MS Office (full Pro version - not an upgrade) on my newly-reconfigured Win'98 system, but the install wizard insists this is an upgrade CD, and won't continue because it can't find any qualifying products.

I've also got a Win'95 system with Office Std installed. I un-installed it, but when trying to re-install from the original CD, I got the "this is an upgrade" message!

Is there something in Windows which is fooling the Office install into mistaking the CDs for upgrades?

Help!

AudioVic' 11:20 23 Feb 03

before re-installing windows 98?

If not, sometimes the uninstalled software sometimes leaves traces of itself on your HDD.

Alternatively, You may have been sold an erroneous copy of the software. This has happened to me in the past on Win 3.11.

-pops- 11:23 23 Feb 03

Look carefully on the holograms on the disk(s). If it is an upgrade it will say so there, upper left (I think). If it is there take it back and complain!

If not, follow AudioVic's first recommendation

Brian

splinternet 18:28 23 Feb 03

Yes, I formatted the hard disk before reinstalling Win98. There are no holograms on the disk ... there's just a kind-of jigsaw pattern. If I quote the product-id to Microsoft, will they be able to tell whether it's an upgrade or a full disk?

Any thoughts as to why I can't reinstall on Win95 using the original full Office CD?

Djohn 18:46 23 Feb 03

Just had a look at my Win xp upgrade O/S disk, and if you move it about under a light, you will see many different types of Icons as holograms, but does not say upgrade.

As far as I am aware the disk are exactly the same any way, the only difference being with the upgrade, it will ask you to insert a qualifying version of an upgrade disk to verify you have the right to upgrade.

The price you paid for your disk will give you an idea which version it is. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…