MS Office Access and Word

Crutchy 15:31 05 Jan 08

I've been running MS Office on XP fine for many months when all of a sudden I couldn't open an MS Access db. I then started noticing that MS Word would take a long time to start up. I've disabled anti virus and security programs but no change. I've uninstalled and re installed adn still no change.

Any ideas as to the cause and solution?

Rgds

Clapton is God 15:34 05 Jan 08

In Word and/or Access go to Help; Detect and Repair

Crutchy 17:48 05 Jan 08

No, still no luck. When I click the Word icon the Word splash screen comes up and then I have to wait a minute or so before the application launches.

Clapton is God 17:58 05 Jan 08

Some basic PC housekeeping with something like click here

Followed by disabling unnecessary programs/processes at start up via msconfig and a HDD defrag

VoG II 18:04 05 Jan 08

Close Word.

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Search for the file normal.doT

Delete normal.dot

Start Word.

Crutchy 18:06 05 Jan 08

Mmmmm, OK I'll give it a go. However it only appears to happen in Word. Access works (although not the db I want to open!) as does Excel, PP, Frontpage etc.

Crutchy 18:17 05 Jan 08

Sorry, my earlier reply was to Clapton is God.

VoG - Spot on! That's sorted it.

All - Thanks for your time, very much appreciated.

Crutchy 18:20 05 Jan 08

Do either of you have any ideas why the Access db won't open any more.

I appears to be the same sort of problem i.e. a long delay before you get the options to block/not block expressions etc.

VoG II 18:26 05 Jan 08

Sorry, I'm no good with Access. You could try asking at click here

Crutchy 18:46 05 Jan 08

No worries. Thanks again for the speedy advice.

Crutchy 22:15 08 Jan 08

VOG - The problem has returned because the normal.doT file has been re-instated. Do you know what causes this file to be created and any idea as to how to prevent it coming back an slowing up the the launch of Word?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…