MS Office 97/Word query

DIYgirl 13:49 14 Jan 04

Yes, I know it's old but it works for me. I use MS office 97 on my ancient (5/6 years old) Dell, running Win 98 (apparently to be made obsolete soon, just as well I don't know that).

Years ago (1993-94) I used to use Word at work and there was a shortcut I used often. It was ctrl-something, and would simply swap two characters round. So if I had typed raod and wanted to change that to road, all I had to do was put the cursor on the o, hold down ctrl and hit the other key (what ever that was) and the o and the a would swap round and all woudl be well (there, you can see I need to be able to do this, see what my typing is like?).

I can't do this in my current version of Word. I cna't remember what the command was, and I can't find reference to it in the Word help files. And, being a computer-dunce I can't work out how to sort it out myself.

As I spend hours typing eveyr day (there's another one!) and often transpose letters, this is a really useful shortcut for me and I would do with being able to do this. Any suggestions?

AL D. 13:57 14 Jan 04
  DIYgirl 14:00 14 Jan 04

Thanks, Al D, but I already have that list of commands and it does not include the swap thing that I need (unless I am missing the obvious somewhere, in which case, sorry!).

Have I misread the list? Is it buried there in someplace obvious? Or can anyone else help me out?

Djohn 14:04 14 Jan 04

Another way is, When you spell a word incorrectly, most people will right click on the word, then select the correct spelling from the menu. This is fine but will need to be done each time.

A better way is to right click on the word and from the drop-down menu choose "Auto correct", Now each time the word is spelt incorrect, word will recognise this and correct it for you aromatically.

After a while you will build up quite a collection of corrections and it will. [If your like me] save you many hours of retyping. j.

Djohn 14:06 14 Jan 04

aromatically! Pity it doesn't proof-read as well! :o(

DIYgirl 14:12 14 Jan 04

Djohn, I use the autocorrect feature quite a lot and it is very useful. But as I commonly transpose all sorts of letters in all sorts of words when typing, this jsut (there we go again) does not pick up enough of them, and it takes me ages to go through it and do all the corrections. I am a writer and journalist, so have a few thousand words a day to get right and I am, frankly, sick of this when I know there used to be a macro (I think) that did it for me. Rant over.

BEV 14:45 14 Jan 04

Record a macro in Word
On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Record New Macro.

In the Macro name box, type a name for the macro.

In the Store macro in box, click the template or document in which you want to store the macro.

In the Description box, type a description for the macro.

To assign the macro to shortcut keys, click Keyboard. In the Commands box, click the macro you are recording. In the Press new shortcut key box, type the key sequence, and then click Assign. Click Close to begin recording the macro.

Perform the actions you want to include in your macro.
You can use the mouse to click commands and options, but the macro recorder cannot record mouse actions in a document window. To move the insertion point or select, copy, or move text, for example, you must use shortcut keys.

To stop recording your macro, click Stop Recording .

Note If you give a new macro the same name as an existing built-in macro in Word, the new macro actions will replace the existing actions. For example, the File menu command Close has a macro attached to it called FileClose. If you record a new macro and name it FileClose, it becomes attached to the Close command. When you choose the Close command, Word performs the new actions you recorded. To view a list of built-in macros in Word, point to Macro on the Tools menu, and then click Macros. In the Macros in list, click Word Commands.

AndyJ 15:01 14 Jan 04

I think it used to be CTRL+A , but I don't think newer versions use it.

DIYgirl 19:44 14 Jan 04

You are right, Ctrl-A selects all text in a document now.

I suspect that I will have trouble creating this macro, because in order to swap two characters around I have to select the first one, then move it to after the second one. As I don't think I can select a single character using the keyboard (can only do one character at a time using the mouse, or one word at a time using the keyboard) this makes it impossible. If I delete the character, move the cursor, then retype the character (say it is a Z) in its new position then any macro I create will have the effect of deleting the first character in the sequence and typing a Z after the second, even if the first character was a P, if you see what I mean.

Am I being dense here, and creating problems that don't exist, or is there another way round?

Thank you!

woodchip 19:57 14 Jan 04

It would be better to get Dragon Dictate, It would make less mistakes

VoG II 19:58 14 Jan 04

When recording your macro if you hold down Shift whilst using the arrow key this will select the character. You can then use CTRL+X to cut, arrow key to move the insertion point then CTRL+V to paste.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…