M/S Office 2007 on magazine disc

sheila.weston 10:22 05 Jul 06

I am wondering if it is safe to install the M/S office program which is on this month's cover disc. Is it necessary to have the current version of 'Office' in my computer?

I use Lotus Suite with wordpro etc. Are there likely to be compatability issues? I want to change over to the Ofice, Excel etc and this seemed a good opportunity to try it, but...........

Is the entire progam on the disc or will I have to download files off the m/s site? I do not have a broadband connection.

Thanks for any advice, as always.

Sheila

Diodorus Siculus 10:25 05 Jul 06

It's a trial for a time limited period but you should be ok with it.

To be honest though, unless you need all that comes with MSOffice, you might be better with OpenOffice - free download and often on cover disks.

Diodorus Siculus 10:27 05 Jul 06

By the way, there should be no compatibility issues with Lotus - it should open lotus files and allow you to edit them. Whether or not Lotus will edit new MSOffice files, I'm not so sure. That may require a filter to be downloaded.

Belatucadrus 10:52 05 Jul 06

My experience on file compatibility is the other way round, while Lotus will open Office files, Office will not touch Lotus files, you have to save as Word or Excel from within Lotus if you want Office to read them.

sheila.weston 12:50 05 Jul 06

Yes, the reason that I want to change to m/s Office is that I am webmaster of a website and am often sent Excel fles (in particular)by email which I can not open without a lot of fiddling.

RickyC :-) 12:55 05 Jul 06

The entire Office beta is on the disc, so there shouldn't be any large downloads. You do need to be online though, in order to activate the software.

You do not need to have a previous version of Office installed, and here's what Microsoft have to say regarding the limitations...

"When the beta expires on the 1st February, it will become a reduced functionality mode that restricts the options available to you. You are still able to open your documents, but cannot save etc.

You can revert to your previous version of Office when the beta expires, but in order to do so you will need to uninstall the beta and reinstall your previous version. You should uninstall Beta 2 before installing the released version of the software too.

With regard to 2007 file format and previous versions, there is a compatibility pack available that will enable 2000, XP and 2003 to both read and write the new file format. When opening a 2007 file in 2003, certain features are disabled. SmartArt graphics will be displayed fully, but as a picture for instance."

To find out about compatibility with Lotus and other applications, visit the Microsoft Office 2007 Preview site at click here

regards
Richard
CD Editor

Belatucadrus 14:09 05 Jul 06

OpenOffice 2 is extremely good at viewing Office files of all types ( except access, it'll do it, just not very well ).

sheila.weston 14:11 05 Jul 06

Many thanks, Richard. Just what I wanted.

Sheila

Batch 14:16 05 Jul 06

If you just want to view Excel files, you could try the Microsoft Excel Viewer (its free)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…