//some 3rd party need geo

ms office 2007 beta - disaster and warning

jarani 13:26 29 May 06

i downloaded the above yesterday for a trial and now find it impossible to open any of my files or documents written in ms works spanning several years work and very important records - financial, investments, tax etc

the new office 2007 seems to have overtaken completely my Word, of which i use very little, and works wordprocessing and spreadsheets software - when i try to open any of these documents i get a message

" the procedure entry point ? followed by a long string mixed letters a numbers ending in @Z could not be located in the dynamic library WkWbl.dll "

can anyone help please - i have no hair left to pull out - jarani

VoG II 13:28 29 May 06

Have you tried System Restore to before you installed Office 2007 Beta?

johnnyrocker 13:29 29 May 06

if xp try system restore?

johnny.

Forum Editor 13:43 29 May 06

and to be fair, Microsoft clearly issues the following warning:

"Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 is for evaluation and planning purposes only.

It is important to understand that beta software does not necessarily display the same high level of stability of shipped Microsoft products.
Beta testers may experience problems with the Microsoft Office 2007 Beta 2 products that could potentially result in loss, corruption, or destruction of existing data. This beta testing release is not appropriate for production use.
It is strongly recommended that you back up your existing data before you install and run this software.

Beta code is offered “as is,” and does NOT include technical support."

I know that's not of much help to you now, but it may serve as a warning to others who read this thread.

I suggest that you follow the advice given by the others, and uninstall the software - you can do it in Control panel> add/remove programs. Your existing data files will be unaffected.

jarani 14:32 29 May 06

FM - i accept all that you say - " evaluation and planning ... " but one assumed that it would do so in parallel not take over the computer - otherwise how can one test and evaluate it in line with current work

i will try to uninstall, but what software will i be left with since the works software was supplied with the new computer for which i have oem disks only - jarani

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:34 29 May 06

Use system restore as has been suggested.

G

jarani 14:40 29 May 06

pardon my ignorance, but where do i find system restore in xp home and is it self generated when i do find it - jarani

VoG II 14:43 29 May 06

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.

OR

Start, Run, type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK.

Just follow the prompts to restore to an earlier time.

jarani 14:43 29 May 06

my files are stil there i just cannot open them and i am very concerned not to loose them inadvertently by doing something wrong - jarani

VoG II 14:45 29 May 06

System Restore won't touch your files. It will uninstall Office 2007 Beta and return the registry settings etc. back to where they were before you installed it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:49 29 May 06

When you reach the calender you should find the entry when you loaded the Beta, choose a time just before. If you have valuable files on your computer, never, never load beta software especially if you are not familiar with all the workings such as system restore.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…