MS office 2003

TAMPICO 20:32 01 Nov 05

I have MS office 2003 installed on my desktop pc, but now I want to install it on my laptop as well. Trouble is when I try to activate it via MS website it refuses, because it's already registered to my desktop. Is there a workaround I can use.

Jackcoms 20:59 01 Nov 05

An MS Office licence is for one machine (unless you have the Student Edition which is for up to 3 machines).

You might want to try speaking nicely to Microsoft and explain what you are trying to do.

Diodorus Siculus 21:00 01 Nov 05

I understood that MS Office 2003 can be used on two PCs at the same time. Can you give MS a call to check what is the problem?

Diodorus Siculus 21:09 01 Nov 05

Microsoft Office 2003 Professional
"Also note that with Office 2003, Microsoft has further strengthened their control over the unlicensed use of their software. With Office 2003, you will be required to complete the registration process in order to activate the software, and you cannot any longer install the suite on two different machines. You now must purchase two separate, licensed copies of Office 2003, if you want to run Office 2003 on two different machines."
click here

Splork 22:26 01 Nov 05

Can you use OpenOffice 2 to access the same files?
click here

kinger 23:02 01 Nov 05

I have office 2003 on my desktop AND laptop, both activated fine, no questions.

keith-236785 07:50 02 Nov 05

it used to be that M$ allowed you to install the same Office on 1 Desktop & 1 Laptop (assuming that many people use their laptops travelling to and from work and also out on the road etc) obviously they are short of a few quid and have decided to screw people once more. you can only use either a laptop OR desktop at once (based on 1 person ONLY) and it was deemed to be fair to allow you to install to both. But i suppose with the never ending piracy problems m$ has decided not to allow this anymore.

as suggested, install Open Office on one of the pc's, it is fully compatible with MS Office, though it doesnt have "Access" so if you use that then you may have a problem.

interzone55 09:00 02 Nov 05

If you phone Microsoft's activation line & explain what you want to do, and stress that both copies will NEVER be used at the same time, they will probably give you an activation code for the second copy.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, go for OpenOffice 2, click here, which now opens pretty much any Microsoft Office file you can throw at it, except Access. Whilst it does have a database application now, it isn't Access compatible.

Freddog 09:04 02 Nov 05

I JUST got off the phone like 30 minuets ago and a lady gave me a second activation key I need to phone her again soon to put it back on my lapto that I just formatted!;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…