MS Office

pchelp 10:12 11 Dec 03

I have just acquired a very old laptop that I want to use mainly with MS word and MS excel. It has internet access. My harddisk on my PC has been causing me problems and is not very stable. I have MS Office on this PC and will no longer be using it and therefore will be un-installing it. I have lost my CD with MS Office (but have cert of authenticity) and I wish to know if I can copy the MS office from PC to laptop. As they are not networked, can I email it from my PC to laptop???

Jester2K II 10:13 11 Dec 03

Office must always be installed from the CD as it copies to multiple folders and makes many registry changes.

pchelp 10:18 11 Dec 03

As I have the certificate of authenticity, do you know if microsoft supply replacement CD?

Jester2K II 10:19 11 Dec 03

You could ask. If its an old version it might be difficult. If you know someone theres no reason you can't use their CD BUT WITH YOUR CD KEY.

pchelp 10:21 11 Dec 03

Many thanks for your help. I will try this

Djohn 10:24 11 Dec 03

As Jester2K II says. If you have your product key, then there should be no problem using a different office CD to do the install.

Use your own product key and while you are doing it burn your own copy of office to Cd's. They are after all only bits of plastic, it's the owning of the product key that is important. j.

Jester2K II 10:26 11 Dec 03

but bear in mind copying the CD is still illegal....

GrahamP 10:42 11 Dec 03

Microsoft will replace your cd if you have the product key but they will charge for this. Our organisation lost it's Office cd in 1999 and I got it replaced by calling Microsoft UK and paying, I think, £18 (might have been less).

Djohn 11:07 11 Dec 03

Hi jester, although it says on the CD "Do not make illegal copies of this CD" It does not imply you cannot make a copy of the CD.

Microsoft tech. help department asked me to burn a new copy of my scratched 98se CD to see if I could install from it.

When that did not work they said it was OK to borrow my friends CD and use my own Product key, then burn a copy of the CD. They also sent me a replacement CD free of charge. j.

Jester2K II 11:19 11 Dec 03

Fair do's then....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant