MS Flight Sim. 2004

prima12 19:23 24 Jan 06

Hi all, It's probably something I have done wrong but I have just loaded the above programme for my grandson, and all appeared to go OK. I switched off my firewall and A/V before loading. I open up the programme, select 'Create a flight', the picture of the cockpit comes up and then everything 'locks up', I can't get out of the programme and have to switch my PC off, or press 'Reset'.
I am running W98se, MSI MS-6390L M/board, AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz processor, S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR, 256MB DDR PC 2100 memory, and a Maxtor 40Gb 7200rpm HDD.
Any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong would be greatly appreciated as my grandson is a little upset he can't go 'flying'. P

MidgetMan 19:27 24 Jan 06

click here in first instance.

the min specs are
Windows PC
2000/XP – 128 MB Ram
98/Me – 64 MB Ram
Processor:450 MHz minimum
Available hard drive space:1.8 GB
DirectX 9 or later (included with Microsoft Flight Simulator: A Century of Flight)
Video card: 8 MB/3D with DirectX 7.0 or later drivers
Other: mouse, joystick/yoke, sound card, speakers/headphones
Online/multiplayer: 56.6 kbps modem or LAN

so it should run ok.

octal 19:36 24 Jan 06

I had exactly the same problem as you but I have cured it.

The problem is I use Linux and only use Windows 98SE for FS2004. I have removed nearly all the programs off 98 including the firewall, anti-virus and I've blocked 98 from accessing the Internet entirely, FS now works a treat.

I think the problem was probably another program conflicting with Flightsim. Try going to Start>run and type in msconfig and in the Startup tab remove all the ticks from programs, if I remember the only ones you need running are Explorer and Systray, just leave the ticks in them and give it a try.

One last thing, have you carried out a defrag on the system recently, if you haven't it might be worth a try.

Skyver 19:43 24 Jan 06

Load the program and go into the display & audio options before doing anything else, make a note of their current settings, turn everything off/down to minimum (eg screen resolution, number of colours, detail and texture settings, extra effects, audio quality), save your changes and quit, reload the game and try again.

martytoon 21:29 26 Jan 06

Not sure whether you have got FS working yet. If not, make sure you have the latest drivers for the graphics card installed - it appears to be 13.01 for Windows 98 according to this site click here

Whilst your PC specs exceed the minimums quoted I'm afraid to say that you will have to run FS on low detail otherwise you will probably not exceed 10fps which will make it virtually unplayable.

prima12 06:48 27 Jan 06

Thanks 'martytoon', I haven't got it working yet but am still trying. Thanks for the driver link, have done that, will see what happens next, and will tick box if I get it sorted. P

prima12 06:56 27 Jan 06

Is it just the graphics card that would stop the game from performing well, and if so could you recommend a reasonably priced one to use? As the PC is not particularly new, I would only need to install something to run this game. P

Skyver 13:39 27 Jan 06

Another 256MB of memory click here and perhaps an NVidia 6600 click here
Getting the card and not expanding the memory would just be `moving` the bottleneck - XP itself and a few background tasks will use 150+MB before you even load the game. But even having said that, the graphics card would still speed things up to an extent.
Did the game update your DirectX to 9.0c? Check by going to start menu/run, type `dxdiag` and look for DirectX version.

Skyver 13:40 27 Jan 06

Your PSU will need to be rated at 300w or more for the card.

gudgulf 13:48 27 Jan 06

Have a good read of this article click here

It lists most common problems with the graphics on FS2004.

gudgulf 13:48 27 Jan 06

Have a good read of this article click here

It lists most common problems with the graphics on FS2004.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac