//some 3rd party need geo

MS Excel

asilvey 22:53 29 Jun 05

I have sent a file to a printing company and they say that it is read only. How can I send it so that they can use it.
I have checked the boxes in properties but they are grayed out. Anybody got any idea's

pauldonovan 23:09 29 Jun 05

...do they mean you've put a password on it?

Did you send it on a CD? Files from CD sometimes appear to be read only.

I've never had this with an excel attachment.

asilvey 23:17 29 Jun 05

Paul,
No password and it was sent by e mail.

lotvic 00:12 30 Jun 05

""I have checked the boxes in properties but they are grayed out""

give us more details of the boxes, please, so that we can try to work out if the prob lies there

handful 08:11 30 Jun 05

I find sometimes when receiving an excel file that you have to save the file to your hard drive before it will let you save any changes. Try that??

Simsy 08:19 30 Jun 05

You say you've sent it to a company... perhaps someone in the company has opened the file and left it open. This opening of the file then has "editing rights". If someone else were to open the file on another PC, without the fist opening of it being closed, the second opening would be a "read only".

(This would not be true if "file sharing" is enabled, but I can't remember how to do this!)

Regards,

Simsy

asilvey 08:45 30 Jun 05

Thanks to everyone. I altered the properties to Share files and it seemed to work OK.
Regards
Asilvey

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…