MS Excel 2000 corrupt file

Peterbrown22 03:19 08 Jul 06

I have an important Excel workbook with a year's worth of accounts information that I would really like to access, but it has become corrupt. I am getting the following message:

Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

The error report contains the following data:
AppName: excel.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2719 ModName: excel.exe
ModVer: 9.0.0.2719 Offset: 00173708

The workbook has a password protected access and a backup is created each time it is saved; however, the backup also has the same error. I have tried re-naming it, and I have tried opening it in Word and Notepad, but to no avail. The problem seems to have stated when I copied and pasted part of a web page onto a spreadsheet. This seems to have corrupted the spreadsheet somehow.
Has anyone any idea how I can recover the important data contained in the file?

VoG II 08:35 08 Jul 06

The first thing to try is opening it using Excel 2002 or later which have repair built-in.

Or see click here

Peterbrown22 13:41 08 Jul 06

I don't have access to Excel 2002. I had tried renaming it, opening it on different PC's, etc but with no luck. Then I downloaded MS Office Excel Viewer from the Microsoft website which allowed me to open it and view the contents, and I was able to copy and paste the values. I have lost my formulae, but it is not too difficult to re-insert them. I am so relieved to get my information back!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now