Fillymouskwitz 13:51 08 Dec 03

Dear All,

I have a plea for those of you who know your Excel !

I am trying to imbed multip[le IF functions into one cell on a spreadsheet, ie if A1 = David then B1 = 20. The problem occurs when I try to add another IF rule in the same cell ?

I understand this could be a longwinded request so if anyone is able to help please email me on [email protected] or if it is a simple fix, please post it here.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

RichardDGibson 14:05 08 Dec 03

You need lots of brackets - eg traffic lights

=if(a1="red","Stop",if(a1="Orange",Get Ready","Go"))

you put this in B1 so that if a1 is red b1 is stop.

you are saying "if a1=red then I know the answer - it's stop. but if it's not red then it could be either orange or green so I need another if"

you must put the next if in brackets where the "answer if false" should go.

the full syntax is

=IF(logical test,value if true,value if false)

It's not a good idea to display your email address. It may already have been harvested for spam.

If you invite it, folks can use the yellow envelope to the left of your name.

VoG II 19:32 08 Dec 03

There is a limit of 7 nested IFs in Excel. Does that apply in this case?

Fillymouskwitz 20:33 08 Dec 03

Thanks for the advice re: SPAM, Ill take heed in future.

I do require more than 7 rules, probably up tp 30. Am I asking too much of the system ?

VoG II 20:56 08 Dec 03

Can you tell us exactly what you are trying to do. To require 30 nested IFs is, well, incredible.

Could you not use the Vlookup function rather than nested If statements.

Create a table on another worksheet with the list of names in column A and the corresponding value in column B then use a Vlookup against your original data.

EG =Vlookup(A1,A:B,2,false)

or in english: compare A1 with the range in the 2nd sheet columns A to B and report the value in column 2 when a match is found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…