Format Terminated

Then

A:\>Setup C:
Please wait while setup initializes
Setup is now going to perform a routine check on your system

To continue, press Enter.
To quit setup press Esc
>Enter

Please wait while setup initializes, scanning system registry, Can not create a temporary directory.
If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows.

SO how do i do that?
Only have a Windows 98SE start up disk

How can you put a DOS partition on to your hard drive whilst going through Fdisk?

The Brigadier 10:33 21 Dec 06

Can i install the DOS partition from Fdisk?

Eric10 10:55 21 Dec 06

It would be helpful to have a lot more information about exactly what you are trying to do and why you think that you need a DOS partition.
It sounds as if you are trying to run FDISK from the A: drive whilst Windows is running and this isn't allowed. Fdisk can only be run after booting from your Windows 98 boot disk into a pure DOS environment (you may need to set your floppy drive as the first boot device in the BIOS). Also FDISK is a destructive process so don't proceed if you can't afford to loose everything that is currently on your hard drive.
For more info on FDISK click here.

The Brigadier 11:39 21 Dec 06

PC HDD has no data on it, it has been Fdisked & have tried to format it when the above happens ( see post 1) Im using a 98se start up disk, should i load DOS 1st? And if so can i download it??

The Brigadier 16:19 21 Dec 06

Seems that a DOS partition needs to be loaded on the the hard drive, Why?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 21 Dec 06

Im using a 98se start up disk.

If the C drive is formatted to NTFS win 98 will not see it.

Is C actually the master drive? If you have no recognisable hard drive when you boot from floppy the "tools will be loaded to C: and you might have to format D: to actually format the hard drive.

boot from floppy at the A:\ prompt you should be able to type c:

at the c:\ type dir to find out what is on the C drive?

The Brigadier 18:07 21 Dec 06

Nothing on C:
FDisk cleared everything!
Keep get asked to create a DOS partition?
Did have Windows 98SE on it but decided to flatten it and re-install 98SE. May have to use the reset button on the side case of the laptop (Toshiba 4010CDS) And try to load DOS, but why??

Eric10 18:15 21 Dec 06

Full instructions on how to use Fdisk click here. Don't forget that you must restart the computer after creating the partition before you can format it.

Diemmess 18:51 21 Dec 06

Deal with this problem one step at a time
FDISK and FORMAT are separate DOS commands.

Accept Large disk support
FDISK first using the prompts to arrive at "no partitions defined".

Then make new Partition/s and C: make active.
(Assuming you only want one, then the only one C: must be a logical DOS partition and Active)

Reboot using the floppy again, and FORMAT C:

The Brigadier 19:26 21 Dec 06

Cheers will report bank when had a go, again.

The Brigadier 11:23 22 Dec 06

Decided to use the reset button & see if we can get DOS partition on it 1st.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…