Ms-dos not working

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:01 23 Mar 03

Hi, ive had this problem before ,and cured it with a format but i don't wanna do that again unless i have too,what it is i can restart in Ms-dos mode(98se) but cant see anything on screen i know it does go into Ms-dos mode cos i can type exit and restart windows so why cant i see and thing i tried everything i can thin of but cant get it to work ,any ideas ?

DieSse 11:27 23 Mar 03

It may just be the display is configured too large to show the prompts on the screen. try typing dir at the prompt, and see whether you can see any of the screen at all.

DieSse 11:32 23 Mar 03

Also try (when in DOS mode) pressing Alt - Return together - this should put the MS-DOS mode into a Window - does it show then??

Also try typing mode co80 - this should rest the display mode back to standard, in case you've got something odd like black character mode on.

Peter 11:42 23 Mar 03

As an extra to DieSse's advice try typing "CLS" (without the quotes), which is the Clear Screen command. There might be something on screen obscuring the C:> prompt.

Also try entering the "prompt $p$g" (without the quotes) command to display the usual prompt.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:27 24 Mar 03

Hi, thx guys i tried those and the only thing that worked was the Alt-Return thing it went to a window but there was still nothin there its as if the C prompt is invisable altough i know its there i typed scandisk and it ran although i couldnt see what it was doing,lol and i had to guess as to how to get it off when it done.It does work cos ive had it on before but some how it just dissapeares.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:31 24 Mar 03

If i select Ms-dos prompt from windows it works ok
everythin there.

woodchip 09:46 24 Mar 03

I have had this prob in the past it's not a graphics prob I think it's to do with Win98 Shutdown Prob

DieSse 09:47 24 Mar 03

If you boot up into DOS with a start-up floppy - does this work OK? (I expect it does, just want confirmation please)

DieSse 09:47 24 Mar 03

PS - Which windows version also please.

DieSse 09:49 24 Mar 03

Ah - sorry - see you did put this in your first post.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 09:50 24 Mar 03

Yep, i can boot from floppy np and it will load and i can see the prompt,in fact this is how i been getting in to dos mode as the other dont work but it a pain having to keep booting from floppy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…