MS DOS 'Diagnostic Test' on boot up

woodt 15:14 09 Mar 05

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a Acer P3 500M Laptop running W98. It has just started going into the above diagnostic on bootup. Any ideas as to why this should have happened and how to stop it?
Thanks, Dave

FelixTCat 15:16 09 Mar 05

Not sure what you mean, but in the good old days you could see the RAM being counted as part of the start-up process. Is this what you mean?

Completealias 15:25 09 Mar 05

All pc do a POST(power on self test) when you bootup to check the hardware in the system such as RAM is ok. Could this b what your seeing it would list any hard drives that are attached and cd-rom devices and show the amount of RAM in the system

woodt 15:34 09 Mar 05

Thanks for the quick response guys. Have not seen the offending laptop but here is some more info.

It comes up about 80% of the way into boot up and has several steps that need actioning & ok-ing, like 'Getting IP Configurations', and 'Getting all Connection & listening posts' plus a few more.

FelixTCat 15:44 09 Mar 05

Has he/she loaded any new software recently?

VoG II 15:46 09 Mar 05

Sounds like it is running in the "Step-by-step confirmation" mode.

Try tapping F8 just before the Windows screen loads and select Normal from the boot menu.

woodt 17:17 09 Mar 05

That sounds a possibility. I will suggest this a let you know the outcome.

woodchip 17:44 09 Mar 05

Try this start as Vog say's but choose command prompt, then type SCANREG /RESTORE and put the oldest date back use arrow and enter key to select

woodchip 20:26 09 Mar 05

Did anything work

woodt 01:55 14 Mar 05

Still waiting for my mate to get back to me. Will chase him up and let you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…