MS-DOS compatibility mode - problem on all drives

SOFTWARE SID 21:18 12 Sep 03

I am running Win 98 SE and I've noticed on checking Device Manager in System Properties that neither my CDRW or DVD drives are showing up any more.

Elsewhere on the Device Manager list, I have exclamation marks next to Primary IDE Controller and Secondary IDE controller, as well as one next to PCI Communication Devices.

Clicking the Performance tab in System Properties, it appears that all my hard and cd drives are operating in MSDOS Compatibility mode.

When I left click My Compputer, I can still explore the drives, although I get error messages saying Autorun could not be located when I try and run games off CD.

I have scanned with both AVAST and AVG during the past 24 hrs - both of which found virues in C:WINDOWS/SYSTEM. Could this be part of the problem?

Any advice welcome - many thanks!

dfghjkl 21:31 12 Sep 03

i had this on mine,i posted a thread about 2 months ago the same title have a look at past threads.i think the cause of mine was that i swapped hard drives with an old pc in order to sell it,and it had the wrong drivers as the motherboard was differant,i had the pc up for sale and ran out of time so i never sorted it,all of my drives were recognised i did not notice any dirrerance in the short time i had it working with the new hard drive,check my other thread as it had links to proper windows sites explaining all about it or you could check it out yourself on the windows site

SOFTWARE SID 12:52 13 Sep 03

I've done the diagnostic start up to try and find out what the problem might be - The only apparent error message was as follows:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 2.

DEVICE= C:\CDROM.IDE.SYS/D:IDECD000/UDMA/Q

Is this connected with the problems I've outlined,or am I barking up the wrong tree?

krypt1c 15:07 13 Sep 03

Found this link about msdos compatability
click here and this about emm386
click here

SOFTWARE SID 15:25 14 Sep 03

Thanks for those links - unfortunately, my system remains as poorly as ever, despite the help I've had here, and a number of articles I've Googled that might have led me in the right direction.

The frustrating thing is I have a pretty recent CD based back up on Acronis True Image, but with no CD functionality, it's a non-starter.. of course the same goes for my other option of nuking the lot and reinstalling Win 98 from CD!

At this stage, that new Hard Disk I've been promising myself looks very tempting!

martjc 18:04 14 Sep 03

There are several boot sector viruses which cause MS Compatibility mode to occur and other problems. may even delete emm386! Make sure this isn't the issue here.

SOFTWARE SID 22:27 14 Sep 03

Good suggestion - but no evidence of any new viruses other than the ones I mentioned which I disovered a few days ago.

AVG is set up to do a boot sector scan every startup (of which there've been several dozen lately!) - and it hasn't flagged anything fresh up.

That said, it's too much of a coincidence that these issues started up at roughly the same time the pesky bugs were tracked down - annoying that they got there in the first place, as I was using AVG and updating my definitions frequently - but accidents will happen!

dfghjkl 22:55 14 Sep 03

you could always copy 98se onto floppys then install.or look around for a set of 95 floppys then do an upgrade with your 98 se if your cd is recognised.if this is possible,i know it is a bit long winded

SOFTWARE SID 16:23 15 Sep 03

Hmmm... technically plausible, but potentially a nightmare in practical terms!

Groping about in the dark I think - but I did try and run Acronis True Image from dos to *try* and restore my backup - but I only got so far as an error message saying there was an unsupported hard drive...

Similarly, my attempts to delete Via Bus Master IDE Controller, and let the OS find the drivers through Add New Hardware Wizard have also drawn a blank.

Starting afresh with a new base unit looks more tempting by the day, I fear!

SOFTWARE SID 19:22 15 Sep 03

Pondering this some more ... a naive question here ... is it worth reformatting the HD and reinstalling the OS from scratch? (I've done this successfully before)

Or will the problem with the machine not "seeing" the CD ROM drive in W98 continue in DOS?

Switcher 20:51 15 Sep 03

I had same problem with boot sector virus called DELCMOS

The only way to get rid of it was by using AVG rescue disks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…