MS-DOS compatibility mode file system

auto98Grimsby 14:52 19 Jan 03
  auto98Grimsby 14:52 19 Jan 03

Has anyone any ideas why my floppy drive and one of my hard drives should suddenly be using this mode? My PC (running Me) claims that my floppy is a different type of drive that needs to format the disks in RAW format, and my hard drive just suddenly started for no apparent reason - btw i am not getting the "Compatibility mode paging reduces overall system performance" message

auto98Grimsby 15:20 19 Jan 03

I've cured the hard drive problem - but the floppy just will not go back to being a normal floppy drive - any ideas?

I'd be interested to know if you ever solved this problem as my floppy drive has not worked since I installed Me, giving the same reason - I've searched MS site but can't find any answers

I'd be interested to know if you ever solved this problem as my floppy drive has not worked since I installed Me, giving the same reason - I've searched MS site but can't find any answers

woodchip 15:18 14 Aug 04

A program that you loaded may have added a entry to the Autoexec.bat file and it uses a TSR a terminate stay resident driver. And it's not appreciated by windows so it's gone into safe mode so that you can sort it. It should say Safe Mode in each corner of the monitor while you are in safe mode, But you CD drive will not work in safe mode. To find out what is in the Autoexec.bat file go to Notepad and open the file then select the text and copy and paste hear, put a double space line between each entry or PCA forum will spoil the formatting, so we cannot read it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5