MS-dos compatibility mode

ardlui 22:28 20 Apr 06

I get this message when I try to use Norton Goback on my Win98 PC
“Norton GoBack window cannot be used while any drives are running in
MS-Dos Compatibility Mode, MS-Dos is a mode in Windows 98 in which your disk drive is not operating optimally. Norton GoBack does not cause the MS Dos Compatibility mode condition”

This means that I cannot now use GoBack. I have checked the device manager and there are no conflicts there, also checked Windows trouble-shooter but can’t find a solution. Have you any idea what I can do about this problem so I can get GoBack working again?

Diodorus Siculus 23:22 20 Apr 06

Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks
click here

This may help

Diodorus Siculus 23:23 20 Apr 06

MS-DOS Compatibility mode
"
To really find out if you are using MS-DOS Compatibility mode, do this: right click on My Computer, select Properties from the context menu, click on the Performance tab. If you see a message in this window that says "Some or all drives may be running in MS-DOS Compatibility mode", then there you have it. You should then click on the Device Manager tab and open up the tree folders corresponding to CDROM, Disk Drives, Floppy Disk controllers, Hard disk controllers. If you do not see an entry for one or more CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives you have on your system, then that one is running in Compatibility mode."
click here

ardlui 15:48 23 Apr 06

Diodorus,thanks for your advice which I will try out later and let you know the results.
Ardlui

ardlui 22:31 30 Apr 06

Diodorus. thanks for your help,I followed your suggestions and leads. Althoigh I didn't find solution there, it was a great learning curve,thanks.
I did find that the trouble was with Goback itself. I reinstalled and updated it and the problem dissapeared, though why it should have put a drive into compatibility mode I have no idea

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…