ms dos compatability mode,how to remove?

dfghjkl 21:48 31 Jul 03

my other pc is running 98 se,pent ll 350,64 ram.i recently rebuilt my old pc and put it in the paper to sell,i have just noticed in system properties that c and d drive are running in so called MS DOS compatability mode,and that it affects system performance,how can i get rid? i recently swapped hard drives from older pc as hd for that pc went bang,i might have done something when trying to fix original hd failure, can anyone help as someone is coming to buy tomorrow night,thank you,peter

the hard drives either have not been recognised properly by the BIOS and LBA mode hasnt been enabled or you are running on Fat16.

woodchip 22:39 31 Jul 03

Have you formatted the drive and reinstalled

dfghjkl 23:32 31 Jul 03

i have not formatted as i dont know how to save my soundcard driver,do you know how to save it to floppy as no cdr on that pc,also how would i know if fat 16,i will check lba mode now.i think it is set to auto,i know the hd is set to auto in bios as i did not know details to manualy set

woodchip 10:43 01 Aug 03

You could look in Autoexec.bat file for TSR drivers copy and post your Autoexec.bat hear

dfghjkl 18:07 01 Aug 03

sorry woodchip you lost me with that answer.i dont have the time to format now so i will just have to have a play for now

Śamurai Ĵack ₪₪ 19:26 01 Aug 03

Could be one of many things, including a boot sector virus. click here

polar_king 19:31 01 Aug 03

sounds like the motherboard drivers for the pc the hd is now in are missing, and its running on the (wrong)drivers from the other pc

woodchip 22:09 01 Aug 03

Open Notepad the go to open and look under C:\ for Autoexec.bat file and double click the file. when it is open select all the text and copy then paste hear so I can have a look at what may be causing your problem. As if you look at where it say's DOS compatibility you will also see that it tells you to check the Autoexec file for driver problems. That's why I need you to post it hear. When you post it can you separate the lines of text with space as it will be hard to understand otherwise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…