MS DOS Command - What does it do?

sam2004 17:54 17 Mar 04

I have found a MS DOS command and would like to know further what it would do if i typed it into MS DOS.

The Command is 'ERASE'. I know it will erase the info on the hard disk drive but... will it keep the Operating System. I want to erase all the files on the Hard Disk (including user restrictions) but keep the operating system.

Can anyone help, please?

hugh-265156 18:16 17 Mar 04

what version of windows are you using?

just format and reinstall windows if you want to start over.

Gemma 18:20 17 Mar 04

Please do not mess with the command line unless you know what you are doing or have good advice. You cannot do what you want to do using "DOS". DOS has no safety nets like Windows.

Come on chaps, I need to swoon...........

Falkyrn 19:06 17 Mar 04

Erase is similar in function to DEL (delete) as a DOS Command. However it does have some controls over it.

For example Erase CANNOT be used to delete a Directory for which the command RD must be used

in use erase B: *.*

would erase or delete ALL files on drive B - that is all those files with the exception of those in directories (folders)

Erase is NOT the command you need and should as advised above only be used with great care.

sam2004 19:21 17 Mar 04

<b>
I am running Windows 1995. the PC has no CD drive so reinstalling windows is not really an option

Falkyrn 12:06 19 Mar 04

rather than using dos commands you would be safer deleting the files from within windows itself, if all you wish to do is create more space. Although again CAUTION must be advised when deleting any files you are unsure of. (even the ones you are sure of).

there are some clean up utilities available which may assist.

There are other options ... eg adding another hard drive (unless its a laptop) or even getting hold of a cheap Cd drive and installing it.

Falkyrn 12:21 19 Mar 04

click here
try this site at thefreesite . com for some utilities that may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…