MS DOS based programs compatibility with Win 98

claluc 13:36 17 Feb 05

Does anyone know how if at all it is possible to load and use Dos based programs in win 98 and 2000?
I have a few very good games that just don't load on either.
Thanks in advance

octal 13:46 17 Feb 05

Quite a few games do work in DOS, but the Windows versions don't contain the full DOS system files so you'll find other games won't work. You could try and get a copy of MS-DOS 6.22 and load that on as well (three floppies), you should find that will work, I had to do that on a computer that was required to run DOS programs which wouldn't work with win98 on its own.

FelixTCat 13:48 17 Feb 05

For Win 98 you will probably have to change config.sys and autoexec.bat to use extended or expanded memory. In dos days, these existed but Win 98 incorporated it automatically.

I have a feeling that if you look in the Windows directory there are a number of shortcuts to dos which incorporate these. You probably have to run one and then run the game in the dos window (full screen).

I can't help you on Win 2000.

claluc 17:55 17 Feb 05

Thank you, I will give both suggestions a try and let you know.

georgemac © 18:00 17 Feb 05

you can run programmes in dos compatibility mode if I remember correctly, make a shortcut and place it on the desktop, right click it and choose propeties, there should be a compatibility tab or button which you can set to run this program in dos compatibility mode - remember to click apply

claluc 17:53 18 Feb 05

Thanks georgemac but if I can not load them at all how can I place a shortcut on the desktop?
Is it the programs shortcut you are talking about?

georgemac © 14:30 20 Feb 05

maybe an emulator click here click here

claluc 12:51 21 Feb 05

Thank you all, I don't know how but in the end I managed it, including on a second PC runninx XP home.
Few adjustments to make including sound on one but altogether it seems to work.
Georgemac, that emulator seems great although too complicated for me to understand the instructions but will keep it just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…