MS Clean up...

madzad 12:39 20 Apr 04

Hi all
When trying to use the PC clean up on win XP home. I have for sometime now got as far as three or four blue bars, during "compressing old files" when it often freezes up or it stays there for hours on end with out progressing any further. If there someway of telling why its doing this as my PC is getting slower and slower.

Defrag doesnt always respond either..

Thanks in advance
Steve

VoG II 12:51 20 Apr 04
  Sethhaniel 14:01 20 Apr 04

of PCA issue 107 June 2004

madzad 11:31 03 May 04

Hi Vog
I have been round this link for days now and there is nothing to tell me how to sort this out, I appreciate your mail RE: link how to back up the reg files, but as to fixing it I cant find anything..

Cheers
Steve

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:34 03 May 04

It could be because there are running programmes in the background....click here and download enditall. Run it and it will close down all unecessary programmes. They will start again on reboot.

G

powerless 11:37 03 May 04

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To work around this problem, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

Locate, and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.

Expand the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

Delete the Compress old files registry key.
Quit Registry Editor.

Or download #48 on the right and double click it click here

madzad 10:06 04 May 04

thanks Guys..
I have deceided to reformat as there is some junk on my system and its time for a clear out. But its the last time I use a reg cleaner.. lol

Have a great week and thanks to everyone who posted.

Cheers
Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…